• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lower-price 80mm vs. Higher-Price 60-65mm? (1 Viewer)

Jumpalot

I am in need of a new spotter. It will not be used for digiscoping. Weight and size is also not a concern. Clear image and low light performance are my main interests.
I've done some research and here is my dilemma. I've narrowed my search down in the lower priced category to the Bushnell Elite 20-60x80 and Vortex Skyline 20-60x80. In the higher priced category, the Pentax 20-60-x65 PF-65 EDII and Nikon Fieldscope 20-60x60.
Will the Pentax and Nikon give as bright and clear of an image as the larger Vortex and Bushnell?
Since I won't be using to take pics, will I notice a difference between Ed and non-ED? Thinking of the Nikon options.
I'd like to stay around $1000 or less if possible.

"Weight and size is also not a concern."

Hi Jump, :) Welcome to Birdforum! If this was me I would go the extra $200 or so and get a Nikon 25-75x82ED spotter. That is if wt. in not a concern and low light use is a concern.
Regards,Steve

Steve makes a good point considering the price comparison between the two configurations of that model. And, though you mentioned not being concerned with it, the physical size difference is not as dramatic as some 65 vs. 80 comparisons.

On the other hand I have yet to really find a situation where my Pentax 65 has let me down in low light situations. It performs at a very high level in a variety of optical characterstics including brightness. Personally I would pick higher quality over objective any day.

FrankD, pardon the repetitive question, but I read your rave reviews of that Pentax 65, but I don't remember which EP you use (zoom). Will your zoom reach full focus @ 60x? I'd like to stick with the zoom since 99% of my time with spotters is big game hunting. Thanks, I'm still trying to decide which way I want to go also.

Well I bit the bullet and decided to order the Pentax 20-60x80 PF-80 ED. Also got the Manfrotto 190XPROB and the grip action ball head. Received a smokin deal. I was really torn between the Nikon and the Pentax. It seemed like the Nikon has received better reviews and the Pentax had a few more mixed reviews. I guess the deciding factor was the choice in eyepieces. I've never used a spotting scope for taking pics, but it seems like if I want to, there are better choices for this offered for the Pentax. Hope I made the right decision.

jgraider,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I don't hit the spotting scope forum as much as the binocular forum...recently.

I do not have a zoom that goes up to the full 60x. My zoom peaks at about 48x. I have been using a combination of the inexpensive Celestron 8-24 mm zoom along with the Plano zoom off of a Promaster Infiniti scope. Both provide very good views up to that peak magnification.

jumpalot,

Congratulations on the new scope. I look forward to reading further comments once you receive it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back