• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How can 60mm be better than 80mm (help needed)? (2 Viewers)

Thanks, Joachim, but I was thinking more in terms of astro vs. birding, i.e. the ED80 vs. your TSN.

John

Ok, I just got the TSN-3 and put on the Opticron 40861 (with the regular adapter part number 40925S it doesn't come to infinity focus unfortunately - I still want to draw and print a shorter adapter, but for 150m it's ok) which results into 84x on the Kowa.

The image is darker with the Kowa (to be expected with single coatings on the objective and maybe prisms) and a lot greener. Detail is hard to decide here, but the Kowa is a cherry while the ED80 is better than diffraction limited but not a lot... some SA visible there.

Joachim

Ok, I just got the TSN-3 and put on the Opticron 40861 (with the regular adapter part number 40925S it doesn't come to infinity focus unfortunately - I still want to draw and print a shorter adapter, but for 150m it's ok) which results into 84x on the Kowa.

The image is darker with the Kowa (to be expected with single coatings on the objective and maybe prisms) and a lot greener. Detail is hard to decide here, but the Kowa is a cherry while the ED80 is better than diffraction limited but not a lot... some SA visible there.

Joachim
Thanks again. I was sort of hoping that a good birding scope would get very close.
I once put up my ATM65 HD against a TV60 using a 3,5 mm Nagler and had the impression that the Swaro didn't give anything away. However, magnifications differed due to the focal lengths (460 and 360 mm).

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back