• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shoebills are Mental !!! (1 Viewer)

Top target on my next trip in September, don't care if I don't see another single bird as long as we get this beast.

Like the crocodile, these 'birds' are a direct link back to prehistoric times - real life dinosaurs !

P.s. thanks to all for picking up the naming slip and to the mods for fixing the thread title :) cheers :t:

Chosun :gh:

All birds are real life dinosaurs though. More so that crocodiles actually, who are "only" archosaurs (not saying that you meant the latter were dinosaurs, but it could be interpreted that way).

Russians call them Whaleheads.
I can get behind that, the bill certainly is very unique among extant birds.

Top target on my next trip in September, don't care if I don't see another single bird as long as we get this beast.

It was the last bird I saw on my trip to Uganda in 2014. Very much worth the wait. Although I suppose I might have seen one in 1962 when we took a boat trip up the Nile to the bottom of Murchison Falls! Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back