• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (2 Viewers)

If I do get the Tammy I will be using it on a tripod (and Gimbal head) more often than not. VC (or IS) helps you to hand hold at shutter speeds less than you would normal need BUT it does not replace a good tripod and head IMHO. I think a lot of the 'soft' shots we are seeing is because folk are handing holding at ridiculously slow shutter speeds on the other hand a lot a the very best shots I have seen from this lens have been taken on a tripod - just saying B :)

Exactly my thoughts. Most of the sharpest images are either tripod-based or taken with shutterspeeds that I would comfortably handhold my 400mm 5.6L without the need for IS. That's why I'm hesitating on this lens so much - to get the best out of it, I would have to treat it using the techniques where my 400mm 5.6L can already deliver superb images.

Some of the very best shots I have seen from this lens HERE. I have also seen a written review by him on another site - he really like the lens a lot for 'one shot' mode although he concedes that it is an entirely different beast when you start using AI servo (he was using a 70D).
Obviously he has some very nice light and targets but it does show what can be done given the right conditions.

Last edited:
HERE is the 'BIGRON' review I talked about in the above post -some very impressive shots.
BTW its worth noting that he has found no problems at all by leaving the VC on when on a tripod, I have also seen other folks say this. I have always been used to leaving IS on when on a tripod so its good to see that the Tammy is the same.

Last edited:
I've had a good look through his shots and the exif details and what stood out for me is that he has kept the ISO down as far as possible - the Pallid Harrier is ISO 400 and 1/10th of a second at 600mm. Yes, there's some softness there which is unsurprising, but for birders going abroad to somewhere exotic for their hols this shows that they can take an affordable and versatile set-up with them. And with practice on technique, I reckon the results would be worth the effort.

I liked the Zitting Cisticola, small bird, ISO 200 1/320th. It would be nice to see the original too see how much PP has been applied; the image as it is could use a contrast boost and some sharpening - but I do like it!

Not so sure how it would work in the fog and rain of the UK, especially without all the exciting subjects to snap, but this review does give hope that on a bright day it would work very well indeed.

Swinging towards the zoom again!

I keep looking at this lens and the reviews and thinking maybe I'll get it then thinking no I won't bother. Sumeet Moghe's review makes it even more tempting to succumb and get one.

I keep looking at this lens and the reviews and thinking maybe I'll get it then thinking no I won't bother. Sumeet Moghe's review makes it even more tempting to succumb and get one.
LOL - I know what you mean, not even a shooter who uses a big Canon supertele could not be somewhat seduced by those shots I reckon. I think if I ever do get back to bird snapping again I would have to try a 'Bigron' just to see what I could get out of it.

Very well written review and great photos.
This lens looks sharper @600mm wide open than my Canon 300mm f/4 IS + tc 1.4x @420mm

If Canon doesn't release something new and appealing (500mm F/5.6 IS under 2500 euros. I like to dream hehe), then this will be a "no brainer" like Sumeet Moghe said. I only wished I had his skills :)

HERE is the 'BIGRON' review I talked about in the above post -some very impressive shots.
BTW its worth noting that he has found no problems at all by leaving the VC on when on a tripod, I have also seen other folks say this. I have always been used to leaving IS on when on a tripod so its good to see that the Tammy is the same.

Thanks for posting - very impressive indeed - time to start saving!

:t:

Very well written review and great photos.
This lens looks sharper @600mm wide open than my Canon 300mm f/4 IS + tc 1.4x @420mm

If Canon doesn't release something new and appealing (500mm F/5.6 IS under 2500 euros. I like to dream hehe), then this will be a "no brainer" like Sumeet Moghe said. I only wished I had his skills :)

Tamron's Bigron is definitely going to rattle some cages at Canon.:eek!: The very least they can do is stabilize the 400 5.6.

Just when you think you've got your dslr kit sorted....sigh!
Very tempting indeed and £949 at WEX?!?!! Good lord.

Last edited:
From the reviews and from my testing, I can surmise the following points on the Bigron (if that's its new nickname):

(1) Useable wide open to 400mm, only reasonably sharp wide open at 600mm, imporves at the long end when stopped down to f/8 or until f/11.
(2) VC gives between 2.5-3 stops at the long end. Best results on a tripod.
(3) Performs better with FF than APS-C, probably due to the extreme effective focal length (cropped view) that results using the latter combo as well as FF's better hi-ISO performance.
(4) Not that good for continuous autofocusing.
(5) Works best in brighter conditions. Has trouble acquiring precise focus in shady or dark areas.
(6) Great for exposing detail on close-up subjects, not so great for subjects that are further away and where the photo needs some cropping.
(7) As far as Canon bodies are concerned, works well with the very latest bodies and not so well with 2010 models and older.
(8) In other words, a decent lens that is worth its price tag, but you get what you pay for.

Its reasons 2, 5 and 6 that prevent me from acquiring it for now. My 400mm 5.6 delivers better images in the same brightly-lit conditions, even when handheld.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Nice debate here with some comparisons with canon lenses

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=19503.0

DxO tested the lens.
http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Tamr...-VC-USD-Canon-mount-lens-review-New-contender

Conclusion:

If Tamron built this lens to outperform the Sigma offering then they succeeded with full frame cameras. The gain in performance over their rival’s offering is less noticeable on the APS-C cameras. Despite that, the image quality is a slight improvement over the Sigma. Given the longer range and similar price, it’s a pretty impressive achievement.
The Tamron even outperforms the pricier Canon lens on the full frame Canon EOS 5D Mk III though it’s less convincing when compared with the Canon EOS 7D. There’s likely too little in it to switch but for first-time buyers the new Tamron is attractive proposition.

Last edited:
A couple of superb images from the BigRon HERE Shows what the lens is capable of in the right hands and given the right conditions. Taken at 600mm but stopped down a tad.

My 400mm 5.6 delivers better images in the same brightly-lit conditions, even when handheld.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Do you mean that if you took a photo with the Canon and one with the Tamron at 600mm, then cropped both to the same field of view that the Canon would be preferable?
Or do you mean comparing both at 400mm?
Cheers.

I did a quick test in bright conditions, with the Tammy shot both wide open and at f/8 at the 600mm end. Even with more pixels being put on the same subject by the Tammy, the Canon 400mm was quite a bit sharper and crisper. Colour rendition was about the same.

I did a quick test in bright conditions, with the Tammy shot both wide open and at f/8 at the 600mm end. Even with more pixels being put on the same subject by the Tammy, the Canon 400mm was quite a bit sharper and crisper. Colour rendition was about the same.

It would be great if you could share some comparison shots.

Yeah a few comparison shots would be good.

Thanks Hor Kee, you have officially stopped me pining for this lens. My bank manager is even more grateful.

I am the greatest fan of the 400/5.6 but it could not do better than the shot in the link I posted earlier HERE IMHO and this was taken at the full 600mm

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back