• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackbird urgent help please (1 Viewer)

nld

Hello all,
I have blackbirds nesting in my backyard with 3 chicks which are now 9 days old. The mother usually sleeps on the nest at night, however I came home very late tonight (10pm) and there is no sign of the mother, the chick's are asleep and breathing. I'm not sure if they need help or if it is normal for the mother not to be around at night now that they are older. I'd really appreciate any advice please

If the nestlings are fledged there is probably not an issue. I would leave them alone until at least midday the following day. There are two parents and if they've been unfortunate enough to lose both of them, it would then be time to take them to a rescue centre if one is available. But I find people tend to intervene in such situatoins and do harm rather than good, however well intentioned they are.

Thank you, I don't know much about birds but have been googling madly, I'm pretty sure they aren't fledged yet. I will keep a careful watch out from inside tomorrow morning and hopefully the parents will return. I've kept my distance and this is the first night the mother has not slept on the nest so quite worried about them as I read it's common for the nests to be abandoned

Hi nld and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

In addition to Ruff's advice, we have some general guidelines here for the care of injured and baby birds, which you might find helpful too. It's important not to go near the nest until you're positive the nest is truly abandoned by both adults.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back