• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Repair Costs? Carl Zeiss 8 x 30B Dialyt (1 Viewer)

Eduardo

The internal focus mechanism on my Carl Zeiss Dialyts 8 x 30B has broken on one side. They did not like a trip to the Netherlands in February and seized up and broke. (The right side is good) I would prefer to repair them rather than trying my luck with another model. I bought them second-hand 10 years ago and have never been happier; the optical quality is still very high and they have survived many hours of hard birding in tropical conditions. These old model roof-prism Zeiss were precision made and better than some of the newer Zeiss.

Question: Assuming I don't have a warranty how much does it cost to fix these things nowadays? I am very attached to them. The only binoculars I have had access to that compared favourably cost at least US$1500. If I want to buy new I would have to buy sight unseen. If I could fix them for about $200 I would contemplate it.

Zeiss' warranty on current producest is transferable, I doubt that it is on the Dialyts that are several years old.

The only way I know to determine the cost is to contact the appropriate Zeiss folks and ask them.

I bought a pair of 10+40 dialyt in 1969,the cement was coming away from the lenses so I took them to the birdfair last year and zeiss replaced the left object lens and the right ocular lens free of charge.I believe the original leather covered dialyt had a lifetime warranty.

Thanks for comments. My pair is leather covered too. I have sent an e-mail to Zeiss Customer Service in USA to enquire. If I get a favorable response I will send them up, as a family member is going to the USA next month. I also have to factor in Shipping costs and 'down time' at my end. I didn't know that the ClassiC was available for $699, but I am still a bit sceptical that it would be as good as my old pair without trying them. I will let you know how it pans out.

Eduardo said:
Thanks for comments. My pair is leather covered too. I have sent an e-mail to Zeiss Customer Service in USA to enquire. If I get a favorable response I will send them up, as a family member is going to the USA next month. I also have to factor in Shipping costs and 'down time' at my end. I didn't know that the ClassiC was available for $699, but I am still a bit sceptical that it would be as good as my old pair without trying them. I will let you know how it pans out.

They are the identical binoculars from all reports, but with rubber armor versus leather.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back