• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Top 5 Birdsongs (1 Viewer)

Monahawk

With the dawn chorus now in full swing and at its very best, it occured to me what would I consider to be my favourite bird songs? It was tough, a bit like trying to work out my favourite songs from bands, groups etc.
Here is my top 5 in order.
1. Nightingale. Unique, clear and unforgetable.
2. Blackbird. A mini orchestra all in itself. A tough decision with Nightingale.
3. Woodlark. Haunting and mourneful in equal measures.
4. Skylark. Very uplifting.
5. Song thrush. Full of energy and improvisation. A real jazz bird.

Si.

Good question!!

1. Sora - definitely my favorite.....just love it.
2. Swainson's Thrush
3. Ruby-crowned Kinglet - only at the beginning of the summer though....by the end of the summer I hear it so much I hate it :)
4. Sandhill Crane - not sure if that is a song or maybe a mating call??
5. Bittern - this might be a call, but it is such a funny noise.

Looking back, mine are a little odd mix....not really songbirds on all of them, but all worth listening to!! :)

Songs
1. Black-headed Grosbeak
2. Western Meadowlark
3. House Finch

Other bird sounds
4. Common/Wilson's Snipe (winnowing)
5. Sandhill Crane (flight calls filtering down from a great height)

Red-winged blackbird - Since I became a birder, this is the sound of spring to me.
Black-capped chickadee
Common loon
Hermit thrush
White-throated sparrow

I also love a red-tailed hawk call. If I were it's prey, it would scare the crap out of me.

1. Blackbird
2. Northern Mockingbird
3. Grasshopper Warbler
4. Swift
5. Wood Warbler

Can't believe people are putting Song Thrush, which in my opinion is the most inappropriately named bird ever. Shout Thrush more like!

Phil

Great question and for me a mixture of song and sound:

Blackbird - R2D2, Mini orchestra - a real musical warbler

Dunnock - suprised no-one has mentioned this fab songster, most of the year round it calls in my garden - when it sits atop of a bush and sings its hard to beat this species

Songthrush - just loud rather than shout I think- another mini orchestra

Buzzard - the call, no matter how distant always makes me look up - can be eerie

Swift - simply the start of summer over MY house

Last edited:
In no particular order....

Toucan Barbet
Eastern Whipbird
Black-capped Chickadee - It always reminds me of summer mornings as a child
Almost any Oropendola
Bald Eagle

A bit of an odd collection here, but they're the five that immediately sprang to mind....

Cheers,
Benji

Black-capped Chickadee - It always reminds me of summer mornings as a child

Heh, BCC always reminds me of crispy winter mornings! :)

...along with white-throated sparrow, who are the Song of the North to me.

Red-winged blackbird is another that sticks with me from my youth.

#1 for me is American crow - the sound that defines the area where I grew up

those four are always a nostalgia trip for me. blue jay deserves a mention.

I'll finish with 'akohekohe - I love the bizarre repertoir of gutteral mutterings like "chortle-chortle" "gurgle, gurgle, gluck-gluck" "uck-uck urrrg"

Common Loon

I forgot the Common Loon Jeff. Falling asleep listening to them on Lac Le Jeune is always a highlight of my holidays in Canada.

Rich
Red-winged blackbird - Since I became a birder, this is the sound of spring to me.
Black-capped chickadee
Common loon
Hermit thrush
White-throated sparrow

I also love a red-tailed hawk call. If I were it's prey, it would scare the crap out of me.

1. Carolina wren
2. White-throated sparrow
3. Blue jay
4. Mourning dove
5. Northern mockingbird

Carolina wren song is very underrated! :) It's very magical to wake up in the morning and hear many wrens singing at the same time.

Great northern diver/common loon- sound of Canada for me.
Blackbird- simply amazing
Sedge warbler
Brown thrasher
Swift- heard my first of the year today, makes the summer

1. Leach's Storm-petrel - an insane cackling once heard never forgotten, especially when the air is full of thousands of unseen birds in the pitch dark at a colony.
2. Whimbrel - the definitive sound of the Icelandic summer for me.
3. Snow Bunting - a mournful and desolate song which conjures up the Icelandic mountains.
4. Great Northern Diver/Common Loon - spine-tingling
5. Long-tailed Duck - the bird that says its name in Icelandic hávella, há-há-há-vella.

Honorable mentions go to Eastern Whipbird, Laughing Kookaburra (still put a smile on my face even after hearing it a 100 times), Lark Bunting, Western Meadowlark (the loudest bird I've heard), Bobolink, Reed Warbler, European Nightjar...

1. Sedge Warbler - ok its allover the place but so very very enthusiastic and the real sound of spring for me (my local patch is a reed bed)
2. Blackcap - more subtle than a Nightingale
3. Eastern Orphean Warbler - the best of Blackbird and Nightingale combined
4. Swallow... I love waiting the wheeze at the end
5. Wood Warbler - for their ability to shake a whole branch

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back