• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camoulflaging a lens. (1 Viewer)

Hi Geoff,
Apart from hiding it in my camera bag (worth a try?) check out wildlife watching supplies they have lens covers etc.
personally if i owned a beauty like that i would want the world to see! (the lens that is)LoL
Cheers
Brian

A question I've always wanted to ask - Does Camoulflaging really make that much difference in getting a shot or is it just a macho thing ?

What's the best way to camoulflage a Canon F/5.6 L 400mm lens.

Hello Geoff
Well I certainly would not go to the expense of buying a lens cover. My wife and I made up a removable cover fixed with velro made from camo cloth that you can easily buy from any habereashery store. I will be using this method when I buy my new 300 f2.8 at the moment I have the 100-400 & 300f4, it slips on and off in seconds.

I was amazed to see a photograph of one our well known local birdwatcher using such a cover for his 300 f2.8 I could not believe he was wearing a white base ball hat...when I pointed that out to my friend, he said, he always wears that hat. But I can tell you, this chap is just wonderful, does not miss a thing so perhaps wearing white hat does the business for him. I would think the only good thing having a lens fitted with a lens coat would protect it from any minor scratches but that depends on the individual all my gear is kept in mint conditon and treated with respect.

Regards

Roy.

Attachments

• IMG_8999 camo resize.jpg
    IMG_8999 camo resize.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 254
I use the legs from a pair of cammo trousers (£10 in an army surplus shop), one for my 300mm f2.8 and one for the 600mm f4. A bit of cammo tape at either end makes them fit perfectly.

I made the mistake of buying the bits of camouflage material that fit over a lens that you can get from Arthur Morris at Birds as Art before I knew any better. Not that there's anything wrong with them (before the lawyers write to me), and now Ive got them I use them, but as those above have alluded to, you can do the same thing much cheaper. Whether it makes the slightest difference I don't know, but I never liked the big white areas on the Canon lenses.

re camouflage

I just use a bit of scrim netting scarf from an army surplus shop or e-bay with a bit of elastic threaded through either end £3 .00 tops and you can stuff foliage in Dad's army style if you have a mind to look a complete pillock into the bargain! The white lenses are a bit garish and do need something to make them look less conspicuous ,im sure the tailor made stuff is good gear but it does seem expensive particulary if you (like me) have had to sell a kidney to buy the lense in the first place.:t:

Last edited:
One other thing if you use your 100-400 for other types of photography it might not be appropriate to wave a camouflaged big lense about so you are better off with something you can take off a bit smartish . I would guess the sticky backed plastic stuff would be a bit messy if you had to remove it too.

I met a guy with the 500mm f4 today. He had an home made camo on his lens - made from waterproof camo trousers. some velcro and a drawstring at the camera end. By using the drawstring he could even protect the camera if it started raining. very effective and cost next to nothing.

The only practical use of lens camo I have found is reducing the 'Canon L' effect of a big white lens...a bare white lens seems to attract every wannabe camera gear-head who wants to compare focal lengths and f-stops...put a camo cover on it and it only attracts the real gear-heads who like to ID Canon glass on the TV when watching sport in bars...

Oh and it protects the white from scratches (see the state of Nigel's 600 in the image posted above) ;)

Nigel seems to get incredible detail with no sign of camouflage on his lens. Reading his site he seems to be experienced in fieldcraft and practical solutions like his "frypod".

Nigel if you read this I hope you are feeling better,

Best wishes

Jim

Cheers Jim, yes I'm properly on the mend now thanks.

Camouflage only works if it matches the surroundings, theres little point in wearing woodland pattern 'Realtree' while laying on a nice sandy beach to photograph waders! you will be no more invisible than you would be in a white T-shirt and jeans.
It is also worth noting that many birds/creatures that won't allow you close when you are quiet and camouflaged are quite happy for you drive up close in a brightly coloured noisy car.

Yep Mark, big lenses are 'idiot magnets', usually just when a chance in a lifetime shot is about to happen.

And those scratches, well after all its a tool of the trade not some macho piece of posturing jewellery as some would suggest!

Last edited:
Does anybody know if birds can detect body heat ?

If I quietly sit it the garden even partly under cover very few birds appear even after some time. The second I go indoors and watch through the window tens of birds appear out of the woodwork.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back