• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens repair (1 Viewer)

Clive Watson

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit ampheta
Bit of a long shot this but I'm struggling. I've got an old Canon 600mm F4 lens from the early 2000s (so mark 1 I guess) which has developed a focusing fault. Does anyone know of someone who might be able to repair it? Most places I've tried (including Canon) don't want to know because of its age.

Thanks, I will e-mail them. I did try the Lens Doctor but got no reply and the website seems to have disappeared. As you say it does look like he's ceased trading.

Thanks, I will e-mail them. I did try the Lens Doctor but got no reply and the website seems to have disappeared. As you say it does look like he's ceased trading.
Hi Clive

I've taken my camera into CRD (camera repair direct) down at Dunsfold aerodrome a couple of times. Great service, pretty sure thet do lenses. Ask for Wes.

Cheers
Dave

Hi Clive

I've taken my camera into CRD (camera repair direct) down at Dunsfold aerodrome a couple of times. Great service, pretty sure thet do lenses. Ask for Wes.

Cheers
Dave
Already tried them and it was Wes who replied to me in fact. The reply was no can do I'm afraid! I've tried various places that I've found on Google, I've found a couple of places who said they will take a look but can't promise anything, unfortunately not that close (one in Cambridge and one in Northampton). I just wondered if anyone may know someone who does this sort of thing as a sideline and maybe wouldn't come up on a Google search. There's a guy in Shepperton who I've used in the past but he's just retired.

Hope they can sort it for you, Clive... I'm really hoping my 500mmf4LIS ( 2008 ) lasts forever, touch wood.

Have tried asking the guy in Shepperton if he knows anybody, providing you can get in touch with him.

Probably a bit like the the 500mm F4 lens in that it is no longer supported by Canon so spare parts will not be available anymore other than secondhand parts

Probably a bit like the the 500mm F4 lens in that it is no longer supported by Canon so spare parts will not be available anymore other than secondhand parts
Yes that's the problem, none of the main repairers are interested because they know they won't be able to get spares. But the spares must be out there somewhere I would think, it's just whether I can find anyone willing to give it a go. I might end up selling it for spares on ebay and putting the money towards another lens but that will probably be expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back