• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dissertation Questionnaire - please help! (1 Viewer)

cranefan

Hello everyone!

I'm a British student studying in China, and I'm getting started on research for my final year dissertation. My topic is the growth of birdwatching in China, particularly whether or not it can positively affect environmental issues over here. I've surveyed lots of Chinese birdwatchers but I can't do any analysis without some base for comparison - which is where you come in.

I've written a very brief online survey which should only take about 2 minutes to complete. If you can spare the time, please fill it in! I'd be very grateful.

The link to the survey is here:

http://edu.surveygizmo.com/s3/939261/Birdwatching-in-Britain

Thanks so much!

Don't like Q12. A lot of the things I would rate as "1" as they are of no interest to me when birding.

Last edited:
Mono, thanks a lot for having a look at the questionnaire. Some of the questions may seem strange as it was originally aimed at Chinese birders, whose habits and interests are quite different. I've had to keep the questions exactly the same for comparison purposes. 

Question 12 didn't allow me to rate successive answers to the same values - something amiss here.
MJB

Question 12 didn't allow me to rate successive answers to the same values - something amiss here.
MJB

Perhaps something amiss but still for the sake of a valid and reliable survey, he needs to keep both. But under limitations, this should be spoken too and most probably the question will net very little use. But still kept intact on the survey...

Don't like Q12. A lot of the things I would rate as "1" as they are of no interest to me when birding.

Now I'm confused! I ranked 1 as the most important and 10 the least. I think there is something seriously amiss here if one person can think of 1 as the most important and to another person 1 is the least important.

Now I'm confused! I ranked 1 as the most important and 10 the least. I think there is something seriously amiss here if one person can think of 1 as the most important and to another person 1 is the least important.

Oh gawd... I thought 1 was least important!

Now I'm confused too Joanne!

I think many people are misunderstanding question 12.

"Please rank the following from 1 to 10 in order of importance "

This does not mean you need to say how important each is on a scale of 1 to 10, but simply to put all of them in a list, the most important reason being number 1, the least important number 10

I think many people are misunderstanding question 12.

"Please rank the following from 1 to 10 in order of importance ". This does not mean you need to say how important each is on a scale of 1 to 10, but simply to put all of them in a list, the most important reason being number 1, the least important number 10

No, it clearly means that 1 is the lowest score (ie order 1 is less than order 2, a standard phrasing in multiple choice questions), and so 10 is the most important. "In order of importance" means the value increases with ascending number. Or perhaps not...|:S||:S||:S|
MJB

No, it clearly means that 1 is the lowest score (ie order 1 is less than order 2, a standard phrasing in multiple choice questions), and so 10 is the most important. "In order of importance" means the value increases with ascending number. Or perhaps not...|:S||:S||:S|
MJB

I take it to mean the total opposite ;)

Ranking in order of importance, number one is most important, number ten is the least important.

But I too will add 'Or perhaps not...' :-O

Last edited:
Hi everyone, firstly thanks very much for taking the time to look at the survey. Sorry for all the confusion on question 12, I'll change the wording to make it clearer, and may change the question entirely.

As it stands, 1 should be the most important and 10 the least important. I'll go and change it now. Thanks again!

Why no mention of over-population in your "threats" question? Particulalry relevent here in CN...

Thanks McMadd, I did consider adding that one in but I'll be looking mainly into birdwatchers and similar groups in terms of their potential to effect change in environment policy - while definitely crucial, I didn't think it was particularly relevant for grass-roots organisations.

I'm glad I read the comments first before I took the survey. I am not in Britain so it would skew your results.

Nice questions, though. In most other online surveys I took (or tried to take) questions were confusing or boring and several times I gave up.

I've completed the survey. I think this is a really good idea for a project, and it would be very interesting to see your conclusions.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back