• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 Sr Ga (1 Viewer)

pete seaman

Although in their catalogue that the 8x32 SR GA is not waterproof any ideas just how weather proof they are,a birding mate fancies these porro s but he does go out in the rain at times.

Not sure this will help much, but for what it's worth..I've owned a pair for about 6 months. Been out in light rain with them a couple of times..I keep 'em tucked inside my jacket and expose them to the elements for brief periods only. Don't think I'd risk it in anything other than light rain though. If your mate doesn't mind this inconvenience then they really are an excellent pair of bins providing the tight eye relief is not a problem as well.

Thanks for that I was interested in them myself a little while ago but the arthritic hands have trouble holding any porros above compacts.Now converted to roof sadly but dead chuffed with my new Countryman 8x32, the wife is stilling on to her Imagic porros though.

I also have arthritis in my hands, but am the opposite to you and found the SRGA more comfortable to hold than roof prisms. The hyper fast focusing is a plus in this respect too.

A Medical Moment with Dr. Ozzy

Take some Omega-3 fatty acids and the world will be your oyster (which have omega-3 fatty acids as do fish). I don't have arthritis in the hands, but elsewhere, and I found that it helps a lot. In fact, this is the first year I ever had arthritic pain, and we had a record cold winter, probably no coincidence. I get the Omega-3 in flax seed oil rather than fish oil.

The Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids

Thanks for the tip,reckon our winters here in the northern part of the UK are much milder than yours but the damp gets to me.

I also have arthritis in my hands, but am the opposite to you and found the SRGA more comfortable to hold than roof prisms. The hyper fast focusing is a plus in this respect too.

My circumstance is exactly similar and, apart from the remarkable ergonomics, I am always amazed at the excellence of the optics. Rain here in Texas, however, is rarely a light mist ("gully washer" is the actual local term) and I have never risked the binocular in the rain.

SR.GA waterproof?

Pete

Although in their catalogue that the 8x32 SR GA is not waterproof any ideas just how weather proof they are,a birding mate fancies these porro s but he does go out in the rain at times.

A few years ago I was out with an Opticron 8x32 SR.GA by a river bridge hoping to see Black terns. It rained very heavily; the binocular misted up, both externally, and possibly also--I no longer retain an exact memory of the point--internally; so I missed the chance to lay the SR.GA on an Osprey that totally unexpectedly flew past along the river in front of me.

What I do still reliably remember, if it helps, is that:
* The SR.GA did dry out successfully after the event
* As a result of the experience, I resolved to supplement the SR.GA for wet outings with a waterproof binocular, and shortly after bought an Opticron 8x26 HR.WP. That's a strong hint that the condensation was internal as well as external.

Perhaps someone else can advise you definitely on the susceptibility of the SR.GA to the internal ingress of water. I can only caution your friend from my experience to make sure to obtain definite information on the point before he buys.

Stephen

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back