• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI Arnside Knott and Gait Barrows (1 Viewer)

RobinD

Covid restrictions permitting, I will be visiting north Lancashire from saturday 15th August for a week.
I hope to have some time to enjoy the Arnside and Silverdale AONB as well as Bowland.
Am I likely to be too late for the local specialities - I'm hoping Scotch Argus will still be on the wing. I'm guessing it's too late for HB Fritillary and know it's too late for Northern Brown Argus. Any chance of second brood PB Frit or SPB Frit?

Any help and advice grately received!

Covid restrictions permitting, I will be visiting north Lancashire from saturday 15th August for a week.
I hope to have some time to enjoy the Arnside and Silverdale AONB as well as Bowland.
Am I likely to be too late for the local specialities - I'm hoping Scotch Argus will still be on the wing. I'm guessing it's too late for HB Fritillary and know it's too late for Northern Brown Argus. Any chance of second brood PB Frit or SPB Frit?

Any help and advice grately received!

Sorry it's not more positive but I read somewhere that Scotch Argus are doing really badly on Arnside Knott these days.

If you get the chance it is worth visiting Smardale Gill. Scotch Argus is thriving there. When I went a couple of years ago I saw 200+ Scotch Argus at Smardale but only half a dozen at Arnside Knot. This was the second week in August. There might be the odd really worn HB Frit but I'm not sure if the others have a second brood up north.
Tim

Two years ago we found High Brown Fritillary at Holme Stinted Pastures - just enter this into Google for more details. The site is a few miles from Arnside and Gait Barrows. Simply follow the main path checking the thistles and brambles and the best area was only a few hundred yards form the road. If you leave the pastures onto the fell you've basically walked too far.

Unfortunately mid August may be a little late, but you may be lucky. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back