• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Possible Temmincks Stint in Bulgaria ? (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

When I went to the lake at Shabla Tuszla last week, I took many photo's with the bridge camera, and have been examining them.
Please can anyone advise as to the species of bird on the left in the attached photo.
There were quite a few Little Stints around, but I am wondering whether this bird might be a Temmincks Stint (which would be a lifer). However, I am not sufficiently experienced to confidently identify the bird.

Attachments

• File 094c.jpg
    File 094c.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 137
Thank you for those suggestions . I guess it is another one that must remain a possible.
I had to crop it heavily as otherwise I wasn't able to get it to upload.
The re-submitted photo attached here is one I restored the contrast to what it was originally

Attachments

• File 094a.jpg
    File 094a.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 91
I would have expected to see a bit more 'shading' to the pectoral area for Temminck's, this seems to be too sharply cut off at the base of the neck for me

I would have expected to see a bit more 'shading' to the pectoral area for Temminck's, this seems to be too sharply cut off at the base of the neck for me

Thank you for that helpful observation. I wonder whether it is merely a Ringed Plover, in view of the fact there was a Ringed Plover in the vicinity. I shall put it down as unidentified.

Thank you.

Not a ringed plover!

Thank you for that observation.
Well although I have never had Temmincks stint, this bird seems approximately the same shape and structure at Temmincks and that band at the throat might well fit. I dont think Little stint has such a band, although with very poor photos such as this one there are artifacts galore I guess. And it looks plainish on the top. I guess it must be a stint of some kind - what else could it be? But then I am not an expert, and I doubt definite identification can be made unless anyone else can add to this thread.

Structure/proportions all look perfect for Temminck's to me...., for example bill, legs, body, head (rounded crown ;)), tapering primaries, and gait. Colours look weird though, just the photo probably.

Structure/proportions all look perfect for Temminck's to me...., for example bill, legs, body, head (rounded crown ;)), tapering primaries, and gait. Colours look weird though, just the photo probably.

Thank you: I felt good about it as a Temmincks, but I guess until I get a better view I shall hold off from calling it a lifer LOL. Mind you, even though it is a terrible photo, I can't think what else it could possibly be other than Temmincks stint .

Last edited:
The all white underside apart from the throat excludes Temminck's which shows a well defined breast band in all plumages, recalling Common Sandpiper. I also think it looks a bit lanky in the tibia. Temminck's usually looks a bit short in the legs, shuffling around close to the ground

Dear Foxy
Thank you for your two observations which, upon consideration, both have validity. In hindsight I perceive the "throat band" would be more of a "breast band" were the bird a Temmincks Stint. Furthermore, I can see now the legs on this are too long for Temmincks: Your comments, together with previous contributions, have assisted me to arrive at a firm conclusion that the bird is not a Temmincks Stint B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back