• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss HT wins Binocular review shootout (1 Viewer)

James, as always... defending his brand... a Zeiss defender. When all else fails use the old, I got one and you don't ploy and ignore everyone includuing Tobias who has used the bins and made the same observations with their own two eyeballs as well Henry's photos and my possible explanation for the bias with the graphics and Gijs figures (wish I had bookmarked that post, not that it would matter in this case).

So the bins have a yellow-green bias, so what? It's not the end of the world (as we know it). It's just different, and it can be advantageous in some circumstances. No cause to take it personally, but like the SV EL diehards, any comment that does not flatter their binoculars is met with derision. That's getting pretty old at this point.

Re-read the review, ponder, then reassess....OK?

There can be no possible way you believe what you wrote, apart from a complete misunderstanding of Tobias's review.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about the other binoculars except the reviews I have read on here. But my new Zeiss 8x42 HT Binoculars are very very good and the best binoculars I've ever bought and I'm very happy with them and it's money well spent. |;|
Ian.

Another non-ersatz parameter impacting the 3-D effect... This reminded me of something that Surveyor wrote a while back, namely, that companies can purposely impact the 3-D effect by tweaking the alignment of the lenses and prisms. I don't remember the details, but this wasn't a haphazard misalignment but rather something that companies did purposely to enhance the view. If anyone remembers what he wrote, please chime in.

He wrote this in response to my surprise that the ZR 7x36 ED2 roof seemed to have about as good a 3-D view as my 8x30 EII porro. I thought that perhaps this was due to the 7x having better depth of field than 8x, but this alone didn't seem enough considering it was still a roof vs. porro.

When looking at a group of people standing in a circle at a distance (~400 ft.) I could see them separated from each other at a distance that was close to what I could see naked eye, maybe a bit less. What really surprised me is that the group seemed to be separated apart a bit more through the ED2.

With the 8x32 LX, which Kimmo said has the objectives slightly close together than the EPs, the people seemed to be standing right in front of each other rather than a few feet apart.

According to Surveyor, the perception of greater depth was due to the way the optics were aligned in the 7x ED2, which he had examined. This could explain why some roofs (all with S/P prisms) seem to show better 3-D than others. Other factors that Henry mentioned such as field curvature might also contribute to these differences so that when all added up, one roof of the same magnification looks noticeably different than the other in regard to depth perception and 3-D effect.

Brock
Here's the exact post for all to read.
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1864266&postcount=26

That search took less than a minute. I'm wondering why you don't reference easy-to-locate posts. Interesting. B :)

I don't know anything about the other binoculars except the reviews I have read on here. But my new Zeiss 8x42 HT Binoculars are very very good and the best binoculars I've ever bought and I'm very happy with them and it's money well spent. |;|
Ian.

Ian,

Only very, very good? Send them back! They should be par excellence for the price you paid! ;)

The slight color bias that Tobias reported, that Henry saw in the SF's predecessors, and the "washed out" views some have seen with Zeiss's top models under certain lighting conditions are not deal breakers, and to quote Lennon, "Nothing to get hung about."

But what it does show are the differences between the top bananas, which was the point of Tobias's review. Those laid out, one (or one one with deep pockets, at least) could then use the review as a stepping stone to decide which top bananas he/she might be interested in and then try them, because so much about binoculars comes down to personal preference. What sounds good on paper might not look good to your eyes or feel good in your hands.

Not everybody wants to carry around a birding bin that's almost 7 inches long no matter how fantastic the optics might be. That's one reason why some people prefer Leicas. For example, the 8x42 UV is 5.6" long, just a tiny bit larger than the 8x32 SV EL which is 5.3" long. And that's just one feature and a physical attribute rather than optical.

Glad your happy with your SFs. I hope that the other top brands take note and start increasing the FOV on their bins, some of which are rather "stingy" for their price point. Ditto for the eye relief.

For me, deal killers are focusers that are too fast or too stiff, bins that show excessive veiling glare, and eyecups that don't fit my face comfortably (a frequent problem). Beyond those, there are many things I like about various binoculars, both roofs and porros. There's something out there at various price points for everybody.

Brock

I certainly am in love with my HT 8x42's. I've always liked Leica cameras but am mostly not a fan of their bins. I have yet to find a Swaro I want to own.

The HT's strike me as being totally neutral with color. If I want color, I can wear my polarized amber sunglasses and twist down the eyecups...

Ian.

Ian,

Only very, very good? Send them back! They should be par excellence for the price you paid! ;)

The slight color bias that Tobias reported, that Henry saw in the SF's predecessors, and the "washed out" views some have seen with Zeiss's top models under certain lighting conditions are not deal breakers, and to quote Lennon, "Nothing to get hung about."

But what it does show are the differences between the top bananas, which was the point of Tobias's review. Those laid out, one (or one one with deep pockets, at least) could then use the review as a stepping stone to decide which top bananas he/she might be interested in and then try them, because so much about binoculars comes down to personal preference. What sounds good on paper might not look good to your eyes or feel good in your hands.

Not everybody wants to carry around a birding bin that's almost 7 inches long no matter how fantastic the optics might be. That's one reason why some people prefer Leicas. For example, the 8x42 UV is 5.6" long, just a tiny bit larger than the 8x32 SV EL which is 5.3" long. And that's just one feature and a physical attribute rather than optical.

Glad your happy with your SFs. I hope that the other top brands take note and start increasing the FOV on their bins, some of which are rather "stingy" for their price point. Ditto for the eye relief.

For me, deal killers are focusers that are too fast or too stiff, bins that show excessive veiling glare, and eyecups that don't fit my face comfortably (a frequent problem). Beyond those, there are many things I like about various binoculars, both roofs and porros. There's something out there at various price points for everybody.

Brock

Brock, are you even reading the posts you reply to?! :eek!:
Or is each one just an excuse to unleash the predetermined verbiage?? Grrr! (that's rather way too reminiscent of another who shall remain an unnamed member, but is an instantly and widely recognized 'menace' ;))

The man said he had HT's ..... HT's for gawd sakes! ..... HT's Brock!!! :storm:

Every time I read your posts, I feel a little sad at all the unpaid and wasted words ..... perhaps you should post those same laments on "gofundme" or something similar - can ya help a fellow Americane down on his luck? ..... maybe you can pull together the sympathy to actually buy an 'Alpha', or at the very least, the return fare to get you down to Proud Papa's for the day and back ..... :smoke:

Sorry, Ian, Juan model. Lots of "love" for the HT on BF, just don't fall in love with it like CSG or your wife might get jealous. ;)

I would have preferred a mini-me version of the HT (32mm) rather than the SF, which won't be so "mini."

@ High North, given that English is your second language I will give you a pass on your poetry, but don't quit your day job! :smoke:

<B>

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back