• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Purple banded Sunbird ? Kwando river, Namibia (1 Viewer)

kahraba

Quentin
France
Hello,
another sunbird from my recent trip to Namibia that I am rather unable to identify. The overall dark and green look and the shortish bill could match purple-banded. Any opinions ?
Kwando River (Namushasha Lodge), Zambezi, Namibia - 29/04/2019

Attachments

• id_cinnyris_sp.jpg
    id_cinnyris_sp.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 29
I agree with Coppery Sunbird. They often look patchy. Amethyst is black all over with only some colours on forehead and throat.

Thank you all for sharing your opinion and experience. I had not considered Amethyst nor Coppery, the latter's shorter bill length fits this bird better (how relevant is this really ?), which makes it a good candidate along with Carl's remarks.
I would have expected a bit of purple iridescence (rather than green) but this may also have to do with the evening light ?
Quentin

the latter's shorter bill length fits this bird better (how relevant is this really ?

In images like this, especially of birds with iridescent plumage, structural differences such as length and shape of bill are far more solid characters to go on than perceived colour in an image.

I agree with Coppery Sunbird. They often look patchy. Amethyst is black all over with only some colours on forehead and throat.

In images like this, especially of birds with iridescent plumage, structural differences such as length and shape of bill are far more solid characters to go on than perceived colour in an image.

This is true, but angle can change length and perceived shape, so care is needed.

This bird reminded me of an immature male Amethyst I saw in or around the Finger Klipp lodge in Namibia in 2013, so I ruled out Copper on range at the time, as it was nowhere near the range of Copper.

I am unfamiliar with Copper, so I can't comment on the similarity to that species.

Attachments

• ARD_1031.JPG
    ARD_1031.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 6
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back