• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (10 Viewers)

Cheers guys - needless to say I'm chuffed to bits that a Bittern has taken up residence only ~400 yards from my back door.

The Bittern showed again this evening at ~6pm. This time it flew in the opposite direction a bit further back - again landing in the reeds approximately 50 yards from where it took off. Several Common Snipes were flying around calling at dusk and ~200 Pied Wagtails roosted in the reeds. A male Sparrowhawk tried its luck.

Cracking record Dave - thats wot patch watching is all about. Does it look like any of the Bitterns at Upton this winter?

A selection of early spring blooms - the first Daffs of the season, Lesser Celendine and Winter Aconites.......

Attachments

• Daffodils.jpg
    Daffodils.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Lesser Celendine.jpg
    Lesser Celendine.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 134
  • Winter Aconite.jpg
    Winter Aconite.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 148
Slip Hazard - Please Take Care!!

An unexpected visit by an altogether different flying object today.

A lady slipped on the muddy tow-path and broke her ankle. The air ambulance helicopter expertly landed in Coney Meadow and took her off to hospital. Best wishes to her for a speedy recovery.

Anyone visiting Coney Meadow, please do take care - the paths are very slippy in places.

I did expect that the helicopter would flush the Bittern - but it seems it was pretty oblivious to the whole thing. :t:

Attachments

• Air Ambulance Coney.jpg
    Air Ambulance Coney.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 160
  • Air Ambulance.jpg
    Air Ambulance.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Air Ambulance Coney Meadow.jpg
    Air Ambulance Coney Meadow.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 153
Bitten turned up same time as yesterday this time a short fight from west to east over dark area, still to late to capture on camera.still can't believe that a bird like this is so close to home.I think someone once said"if you make it they will come" or something like that. Concratulations to all concerned in the making of this fine reed bed.
others tonight large flock pied wagtail,Sparrowhark,Buzzard,

Attachments

• 18 feb 13 001.jpg
    18 feb 13 001.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 139
  • 18 feb 13 002.jpg
    18 feb 13 002.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 18 feb 13 003.jpg
    18 feb 13 003.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Bitten turned up same time as yesterday this time a short fight from west to east over dark area, still to late to capture on camera.still can't believe that a bird like this is so close to home.I think someone once said"if you make it they will come" or something like that. Concratulations to all concerned in the making of this fine reed bed.

Tim - the phrase you are looking for is the often misquoted line from Kevin Costner's Field of Dreams ("If you build it, he will come")

Last edited:

Nice one, Tim. Sounds like a few people turned out this evening (?) - below is a quote from Brian's 'Birding Today' website:

"Bittern still just SW of Droitwich near Salwarpe at Coney Meadow again in flight over reedbed from viewing screen at 5.56pm then landed in reeds (many obs)."

- I don't want the place getting too popular! 8-P ;)

Seriously, though - the more the merrier - just wish I could've got down there myself - but not much chance on a workday. Looking forward to when the clocks change. :t:

Hi Dave
Yes happy for the guys that where there it showed its face,smaller flight then night before this time towards us but stayed high-ish in reeds for them to get thier scopes on it for a minute or so.
sent you a pm also

Last edited:
Nice one, Tim. Sounds like a few people turned out this evening (?) - below is a quote from Brian's 'Birding Today' website:

"Bittern still just SW of Droitwich near Salwarpe at Coney Meadow again in flight over reedbed from viewing screen at 5.56pm then landed in reeds (many obs)."

- I don't want the place getting too popular! 8-P ;)

Seriously, though - the more the merrier - just wish I could've got down there myself - but not much chance on a workday. Looking forward to when the clocks change. :t:

Hi Dave,

Yes, it was rammed. Well five of us anyway! Just a fluke that I was looking through my bins in the exact spot from where it took flight - short and sweet but nice to see a Bittern in a new location.

Interestingly, one was seen at Grimley in the field opposite Top Barn Farm by RMa in early Feb but we only found out about it a week after the event. The same bird maybe......

Anyway, a great bird to find on your patch and it certainly looks to have potential for Bearded Tits etc. I seem to remember looking for some of those following a report along the stretch of canal between what is now Coney Meadow and the edge of Droitwich back in the 80's but to no avail.

Brian

Glad you all saw it Brian...

Interesting re the Grimley bird. Is RMa Roger Maskew by any chance? He seems to have the 'Midas touch' when it comes to finding good birds.

tonights report, only one pair of eyes unfortunatly mine
thin ice on the canal and meadow looked iced up in parts also,no confirmed sighting of Bitten tonight, a bird did fly for two seconds ,one third of the meadow down from usual spot if looking south at the right time but looked more like a coot in the air.
about 5.40 had 20 to 30 very fast and low flying birds heading toward westwood,gull size,long thin winged,but the speed of racing pigeons.Racing gulls maybe..8-P
stayed till 6.15pm tim

tonights report joined by hawkeye Mary
water still iced around edge of meadow
First she found a Pygmy Shrew under the felt piece,now named 'scooby' .we then had the usual show from the pied wagtails,Buzzard flew pass as did a Kingfisher,at 5.50pm mary shouted there he is! then said she saw two large wings and a large bird hop a small distance in the dark area.

tonights report 4 of us there
arrived 5.20pm water no longer iced up in meadow,7 pied wagtails,water rail calling as usual,5.39 pm Bitten had a short fight landed in second further away dark area,best view of the bird so far,this bird is light breasted and quite light under wings,not light as the upton bird but not a dark bird.seen by all happy daze

Yobs

This morning I caught a couple of arsonists red-handed.

They were starting a grass fire in the 'hay meadow' area of Droitwich Community Woods. In previous years this area and others have been devastated by similar acts of vandalism.

I made them put out the fire then I called the police - who caught up with them around Ladywood.

The pair were in their late teens / early 20's and were clearly complete scumbags with nothing better to do :C

Luckily the fire damage was small. They also left a complete mess - mainly discarded beer cans. Words fail me - the disrespectful B*****ds!!!

My real fear is that they will torch the reedbed in Coney Meadow - this has been done several times previously and at this time of year the reed-stems are dry and at their most vulnerable.

Attachments

• Fire Damage Droitwich Woods.jpg
    Fire Damage Droitwich Woods.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 206
  • Litter.jpg
    Litter.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Scumbags.JPG
    Scumbags.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 227

They were starting a grass fire in the 'hay meadow' area of Droitwich Community Woods. In previous years this area and others have been devastated by similar acts of vandalism.

I made them put out the fire then I called the police - who caught up with them around Ladywood.

The pair were in their late teens / early 20's and were clearly complete scumbags with nothing better to do :C

Luckily the fire damage was small. They also left a complete mess - mainly discarded beer cans. Words fail me - the disrespectful B*****ds!!!

My real fear is that they will torch the reedbed in Coney Meadow - this has been done several times previously and at this time of year the reed-stems are dry and at their most vulnerable.

Well done Dave.
It'a bad enough when kids do this, but you have to despair when young adults are up to it.
What pathetic vacuous pondlife :-@

Glad you're safe, Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back