• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Illinois May 2020 (1 Viewer)

Please confirm Swainson's Thrushes, Pine Warbler (Immature Female?), and Solitary Sandpiper.

Attachments

• 025_04.JPG
    025_04.JPG
    383.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 072_07.jpg
    072_07.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 036_07.JPG
    036_07.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 69
  • 041_08.JPG
    041_08.JPG
    383 KB · Views: 50
Agree with the thrushes and sandpiper

I get a Cerulean feel on the warbler. It looks blue on my screen, and it seems to have at least a partial collar.

1-2. Both are definitely Swainson's with the buffy face, grayish-brown back, and extensive spotting on the breast
3. Pine Warbler
4. Solitary Sandpiper

1-2. Both are definitely Swainson's with the buffy face, grayish-brown back, and extensive spotting on the breast

I'm surprised to hear you say that picture 1 shows extensive spotting on the breast. I really can't see that. It also doesn't show any clear malar stripe, which would be expected on Swainson's and is clear in the second picture. It also doesn't show any obvious eye ring. I'm not saying it isn't a Swainson's (I agree that the colour of the upperparts are better for that species) but I think you might be inferring features rather than actually seeing them in the case of this unclear picture.

I'm surprised to hear you say that picture 1 shows extensive spotting on the breast. I really can't see that. It also doesn't show any clear malar stripe, which would be expected on Swainson's and is clear in the second picture. It also doesn't show any obvious eye ring. I'm not saying it isn't a Swainson's (I agree that the colour of the upperparts are better for that species) but I think you might be inferring features rather than actually seeing them in the case of this unclear picture.
Yes, the photo quality is poor (that's why we can't see a full eyering or malar stripe), but I think those are spots on the belly. I could be wrong, but either way it's not a Veery.

Veery is a much warmer brown color. As The Bird Nuts say (says?) the mantle color better matches Swainson's.

I can live with Pine Warbler for the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back