• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for input from passionate birders! (1 Viewer)

BirdWatchP

Hello friends of the bird watching/birding community. My name is Olivia, I'm a university student and I study Computer Science. I have been passionate about all kinds of animals, especially wildlife and birds since a child, I would often go spotting for birds with my dad and this sparked a real passion that I still hold to this day.

I am currently building an interactive web application as part of my university project for the bird watching/birding community which will offer the option to submit and other user's data on bird sightings. I will be including features like maps and graphs to help display the data aswell as the option to view and search the reported sightings. The motives behind my project are to give the community a place to collaborate, find popular areas for sightings of specific birds and finally to contribute data to the wider knowledge of bird conservation efforts.

If you would like to contribute your feedback towards the development of this project, I would highly appreciate if you could fill in this quick questionnaire:
https://goo.gl/forms/PKHicE0cuvs6TWPW2
(Only 6 questions are non-optional, you may keep your identity anonymous)
I am developing this for the community so the input of real members of the community would mean a lot to me. If you would like to contribute your own sightings to this project, there is an option to leave your e-mail address and I will contact you with instructions but this is completely optional.

I hope this isn't against any rules to post, please do let me know if it is as I want to be respectful. I'm not looking to make any money off of this or profit, this is just something I want to work on out of a personal passion and offer to the community as a free online resource.
I am also aiming towards contributing my collected information to bird conservation efforts. I will be developing this solo for my university project but I plan to continue development into a fully fledged web application and am looking to work with bird conservation organisations as partners in future.

Are you aware of any sites that do what you aim to develop? It seems like the description of your application is quite similar to ebird, observado, Inaturalist,...?

Are you aware of any sites that do what you aim to develop? It seems like the description of your application is quite similar to ebird, observado, Inaturalist,...?
Yes, I have seen a few similar websites online but I suppose no idea is truly unique, I still hope to bring something new to the community with my own personal efforts. Perhaps a more interactive experience that could be moved over to mobile eventually.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, I have seen a few similar websites online but I suppose no idea is truly unique, I still hope to bring something new to the community with my own personal efforts. Perhaps a more interactive experience that could be moved over to mobile eventually.

Thanks for the feedback!
Best of luck with this!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my survey! I have sent out e-mails with instructions on how to participate to those who wanted to participate and provided an e-mail address.

Best of luck with this!
Thank you very much! I am very passionate about this project as it combines a lot of my personal interests. I have always wanted to develop something like this.

Sent out more e-mails to those who wished to participate, thank you to everyone for the helpful input! I am still looking for more feedback.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back