• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conservation Project for Barau's and Mascarene Petréls in Lá Reunion (1 Viewer)

joanagcl

Portugal
Hi bird enthusiasts!

There is this critical project for the conservation of Petrels that I would like to share with the community. It is based in the Island of La Reunion in east Africa.

"Young seabirds, upon leaving their burrows for the first time, look for the moon to guide them to the ocean, where they will spend most of their life. However, the growing number of city lights disorientates them, causing them to fall to the ground. Once grounded, petrels cannot fly back to sea by themselves. Without the coordinated efforts to rescue them, thousands of birds would die on land each year instead of finding their life at sea where they belong. "

Quite literally, if no one rescues these birds, the breeding population of this island would be decimated - as they return to their nesting sites to their birth sites to nest.

SeaTheFuture is a new platform for fundraising for ocean conservation projects. You can learn more about the project on there, and If you would like to show your support you can donate to the organization to conduct the work necessary.Barau's petrel Pterodroma baraui (1).JPG

Last edited:
I've heard of the efforts to save disorientated petrels on La Reunion, a commendable project - La Reunion is a beautiful place, but sadly very nature-depleted with a lot of extinctions of the native avifauna.
I understand one of the problems with the Barau's petrel breeding grounds is predation by feral cats, and the fact that the cats are protected under French law - I wonder if any progress has been made in protecting the colonies from predation pressure?

From what I understand the Project is working on this threat! However the breeding grounds are very hard to access. If I learn anymore of what they are doing I'll let you know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back