• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How To Date When It Was Made ???? (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
Hi .... Does anyone know if the number on the 8x32 ED Pentax binocular next to where is says made in Japan indicates when it was made. In my case my recent purchase has the numbers 113419 ..... thanks gwen

Hi .... Does anyone know if the number on the 8x32 ED Pentax binocular next to where is says made in Japan indicates when it was made. In my case my recent purchase has the numbers 113419 ..... thanks gwen

No sure, but it's curious that the first two numbers are 11, and this is a recent model, which could mean it was made in 2011.

Swift's serial #s started with the last two digits of the year of manufacture such as 88 standing fo 1988. Not sure if Swift is still using the same scheme now that the sports division is independent from Swift Optical, but it shows that there is a precedent for that numbering/YOM scheme by another Japanese optics manufacturer.

<B>

No sure, but it's curious that the first two numbers are 11, and this is a recent model, which could mean it was made in 2011.

Swift's serial #s started with the last two digits of the year of manufacture such as 88 standing fo 1988. Not sure if Swift is still using the same scheme now that the sports division is independent from Swift Optical, but it shows that there is a precedent for that numbering/YOM scheme by another Japanese optics manufacturer.

<B>
Thanks for the input, I have now got a e-mail out to Pentax waiting for response ....gwen

Pentax response : They have no way to determine the manufacture date from the Serial number on the binocular: ..... gwen

IOW, "That information is not in our knowledge database". ;)

Looks like another company is keeping proprietary secrets. They know, they have to know. If a code is not built into the serial #, then there's a cross reference somewhere of which serial numbers were made during which year at which factory. Without such reference, no real QC is possible.

Ask Dennis, he probably has an inside contact at Pentax too. ;)

<B>

Pentax response : They have no way to determine the manufacture date from the Serial number on the binocular: ..... gwen

If it is important then call Pentax directly and ask for the individual that handles sport optics. Since they are likely not involved in manufacturing it is reasonable that they really have no need to determine production date. However someone in Pentax Japan certainly does so keep pushing. I got some excellent information about some bins from the 1980's from Pentax USA.

One way to approximate the production date is to look for a printing date on the warranty, owners manual and other paper work. It may be in the form of month/year numbers at the bottom of a page.

Last edited:
If it is important then call Pentax directly and ask for the individual that handles sport optics. Since they are likely not involved in manufacturing it is reasonable that they really have no need to determine production date. However someone in Pentax Japan certainly does so keep pushing. I got some excellent information about some bins from the 1980's from Pentax USA.

One way to approximate the production date is to look for a printing date on the warranty, owners manual and other paper work. It may be in the form of month/year numbers at the bottom of a page.

At the bottom of the user manual last page .... 57832 01-0611. Maybe it means Jan or June 2011 ???? ..... gwen

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back