• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7Dayshop 10x42 waterproofs (UK) - first impressions (1 Viewer)

andrew_s said:
Out of curiousity, and knowing that these cheap bins tend to be made in the same factories in China, but with different rubber armouring, do you reckon that these
http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/adler/birding/binoculars/activ/10x42-roof.html
or these http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/adler/birding/binoculars/wildnis /8x42-roof.html
might be the same thing in a different guise?
They don't look exactly the same but I have seen Nikula binoculars for sale on e bay which look identical

bosun said:
They don't look exactly the same but I have seen Nikula binoculars for sale on e bay which look identical

I have had a pair of the 7 day shop 10x40's, although they where usable in the absence of anything else the diopter adjustment broke after little use.

I havn't actualy seen the Nikula's but would be surprised if they were not of a higher quality. The plastic used in construction of the 7dayshop ones was like that brittle stuff used on childrens toys.

The others linked by andrew_s above also look like they are of a higher quality and interesting at the price.

I have just noticed when looking back, the 7dayshop bins I bought and broke were the £9.95 ones, not the waterproof dearer ones.

Don't suppose anyone could post a photo here of their beloved 7day bins?

I tried the 7day website but being several years old it's inevitable the links are now defunct. I've seen several 10x42s and 8x42s on Ebay and elsewhere, and wonder if some of them might be the same thing albeit with a different label or slightly different housing. Can't see any anywhere near £17.99 though! I reckon that really was a bargain.

These are the sort of cheap(ish) bins I'm seeing

Attachments

• 10x42_a.jpg
    10x42_a.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 88
  • 8x42%20Activ%201%20sq.jpg
    8x42%20Activ%201%20sq.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
A bit more searching and I found this site (shoppingbuyer.co.uk) which seems to have some amazing bargain links. The link to the eyetx 10x42 binoculars goes to 7dayshop... but is blank.

Attachments

• prod_90463.jpg
    prod_90463.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
7day 10x42 roofs back in stock - £19.99 inc UK delivery!

Not sure if these are the exact same bins people have been talking about, but they look pretty good value to me. Nitrogen purged too. I've been looking for a while for some bargain roofs and these look unbeatable at the price. Okay, sure, I doubt they'd be as good as Phase Corrected roofs, but you're talking £100/£200 for those. These are just £19.99 inc p&p!

If I get some, I'll post a review here.

That link again (click Thumbnail for a sharper image or go to the 7day site)

Attachments

• prod_107160.jpg
    prod_107160.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
I purchased a pair of these off 7dayshop on Sunday and should get them this week. Just want a cheap pair for the kids to use and to stop them pinching mine etc. These look exactly like the Konus Titanium 10x42 which sell for around £60 - £100 depending on the shop. See here

Paul.

Last edited:
Paul
let us know if they are good - the kids might get on better with them than the compacts we're using so far.

Paul
let us know if they are good - the kids might get on better with them than the compacts we're using so far.

Hurry up with that report, my mouse keeps hovering over the "buy it" button. ;)

The link you gave also states "at a price that can't be beaten, £57.99" and they want £4.50 p&p lol

BTW has anyone else bought a LUYI 80mm scope off ebay. I was made redundant in Feb and sold a bunch of stuff to raise some money including my 80mm Opticron imagic scope with a 20x eyepiece. Decided I really did need another scope so bit the bullet and got the Luyi (comes with a stay on cover, a table top tripod and a zoom eyepiece) for £49.99 plus postage..............IMHO it's a better scope all round than the Imagic, well chuffed!

Pete

edit......re the bins, decided not to wait for the review so I just ordered them. Hope I haven't blown 20 quid ;)

Last edited:
My 7dayshop 10x42 binoculars arrived this morning. I already own another pair of roof prism BAK4 10x42's which are in the £100 bracket and these cheap ones compare very well. The 7dayshop ones were as bright as my BAK4 ones. Not sure what the glass is in the cheap ones as it doesn't say anywhere. Internal reflections/ghosting are controlled very well when viewing at all angles to the sun. They are well built and couldn't fault the build quality. About the only niggle is that they weren't pin sharp like an expensive pair would be but that was only a minor niggle at this price of only £20. Seeing as they are waterproof and nitrogen filled I don't think you can really fault them for the money.

Paul.

Gosh! Is it really 3 1/2 years since I bought a pair of these!? The new model looks a bit different but if they are as good as the originals they will be a bargain. My 7 Day Shop bins are still in use. In fact I use them everyday, keep them upstairs to bird from the bedroom. They are always to hand, not as good as 'good' bins but for £20 they have been one of the best bargains I've ever bought.

Mine arrived yesterday but I won't be able to give them a proper test until Wednesday (bloody 12 hour shifts) although 1st impressions are that they are an absolute bargain. Well made, padded strap and nice rain guard. Focus is a little slow, close focus......errrrr no. BUT for £20 they are great value for money.

Pete

Thank you to people on this thread, I've just bought a pair of these.

I have some Leica 8x20 Trinovids that I carry when I'm out and about or walking the dog, these will be perfect for leaving by the back door for spotting things in the garden

I did a quick test in the garden today. They seem fine, bright enough for a 10x bino (I prefer 8x myself) and fair optically. The focus is a bit strange, close focus is only about 4 meters (12 feet) and there is a fair bit of travel from there to around 10 meters or so. However, from 15 meters to infinity there is very little focusing movement needed. They work very well in that range and are almost focus free! I reckon they will be great for following moving birds.

Pete

7DAYSHOP 10X42 Bins

OK, well after all of these fabulous reviews I needed a pair of bins for the car and thought at £20, why not. OK, I got them yesterday and yes they are as described...cheap binoculars! They work, they do let light through and they do focus...ish. Now back at the start of these reviews we had people comparing these to Leica quality...? I can only assume they work for 7 day shop or bought their Leica bins from a chap down the market. These bins are probably worth £20 as they can bounce around the car and provide some quick looks when needed, but where any quality of optics is concerned... forget it. Their focus performance is relatively poor, their colour rendition and contrast at the lower end of the scale and their overall optical quality and sharpness significantly poorer than a £40 pair of 8x22 Pentax bins I bought them to replace (one smashed lens due to too much car bouncing!). At the end of the day you get what you pay for and if were using these for any actual birding I'd save my pennies and buy a proper pair. Sorry to dispel the 7 day shop myth, but these are simply £20 cheap bins for the kids.

OK, well after all of these fabulous reviews I needed a pair of bins for the car and thought at £20, why not. OK, I got them yesterday and yes they are as described...cheap binoculars! They work, they do let light through and they do focus...ish. Now back at the start of these reviews we had people comparing these to Leica quality...? I can only assume they work for 7 day shop or bought their Leica bins from a chap down the market. These bins are probably worth £20 as they can bounce around the car and provide some quick looks when needed, but where any quality of optics is concerned... forget it. Their focus performance is relatively poor, their colour rendition and contrast at the lower end of the scale and their overall optical quality and sharpness significantly poorer than a £40 pair of 8x22 Pentax bins I bought them to replace (one smashed lens due to too much car bouncing!). At the end of the day you get what you pay for and if were using these for any actual birding I'd save my pennies and buy a proper pair. Sorry to dispel the 7 day shop myth, but these are simply £20 cheap bins for the kids.

Pretty new to birding on a very tight budget so got a pair of these working out fine for what i want from now, I will no doubt upgrade in the future but these + my scope are serving me pretty well...
I'm in no postion to compare to brands that are more costly and no from my fishing days days that budget is not normaly the best but for 20 quid to a newbie not to be sniffed at i would recomend them:)

Kind regards
Karpman:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back