• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30 E II in Singapore (1 Viewer)

I spent a bit more time with them this morning, just in my backyard.

I can see the entire field of view in the Habicht without digging my eyes into the eyecups. I've been using an index finger or both resting on top of the eyecups and this then helps control the position of the binocular with respect to my eyes. I think I read about this in one of Steves ([email protected]) posts on Cloudy Nights in reference to the Habicht.

Binoculars with very large eyecups (BA8 10x50) I find to be uncomfortable with extended use. The E II is just about ideal for me in this area. I also like the traditional rubber eyecups like the Vixen Ultima series of porros and Docter Nobilems.

With regards to CA I only noticed it on high contrast backgrounds. I saw it in both bino's off axis when looking at tree trunks with grey/white clouds in the background. Not a big deal at all.

I checked the closest focus and found the E II would get to about 2 metres. The Habicht was about 3 metres.

I'm still hedging on the $587 question, I'll check them on the night sky eventually.

Let us know what you think after you get a chance to use them at night. The superb on axis resolution of the Habicht is very apparent when viewing the night sky. It excels at splitting doubles and yields the most pinpoint stars I've ever seen at 8x.

Steve

Better overall depends on what you want out of it.

The Nikon has the better field of view, better comfort, better focus action.

The Habicht has the better size, better quality, better waterproofing.

Take your pick Dennis. If you are like me you need both of them because they both have their good points!

I suppose I would say that the Nikon E II is the better value for money if you only want one.
Answer the question we all want to know. Which one is sharper on axis.

Andy,
A quick practical question regards the Habicht 8x30W's... As a spectacle wearer I need to fold the eyepiece rubbers down (as shown in my photo). How well do the Habicht's fold down (a photo perhaps)? Quoted eye relief is 12mm vs 14mm for the EII's (which work perfectly for me).
Rodger

Rodger,

With the E2 (13.8 mm eyerelief) I can see the whole field of view, no problem. The 8x30W however didn't work at all with my close-fitting spectacles. And I don't mean that I just couldn't see the edges. I got a very small tunnellike view, like I was looking through just one claustrophobic barrel. I am afraid the 8x30W is not for spectacle wearers. Even people that don't wear spectacles complain about the lack of eye-relief. One member who ones them gets eye grime on the oculars all the time

George

G'day George,
Thank you for your input! I was just thinking that the waterproof aspect of the Habicht would possibly be an advantage - cancelled out by the short eye relief for me! I will just appreciate my SE's and EII's (despite their lack of waterproofness) all the more...
Rodger

Andy,
A quick practical question regards the Habicht 8x30W's... As a spectacle wearer I need to fold the eyepiece rubbers down (as shown in my photo). How well do the Habicht's fold down (a photo perhaps)? Quoted eye relief is 12mm vs 14mm for the EII's (which work perfectly for me).
Rodger

Hi Rodger

The Habicht eyecups do fold down but being so short they tend to pop back out without much provocation. if you were always going to use them in that position then you would probably be best served by just trimming them with a sharp knife. Here is a picture for you.

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_0365 (2).JPG
    IMG_0365 (2).JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 98
Answer the question we all want to know. Which one is sharper on axis.

OK Dennis, the Habicht is sharper on axis and you need to buy one for yourself! But you don't need to sell your E II, you need that one too.

I have just tried them on the night sky for 15 minutes. It is not the best of nights for stargazing but after some time I think I can see that the Habicht is very slightly sharper on axis. It is a very (very) small difference but if that is your sole criteria then there you go.

As I continue to compare these two bino's I appreciate the differences more and more. I really like the wide field and easy to use nature of the Nikon E II. The Habicht has a more rigid character that takes a bit more time and effort to appreciate.

Let us know what you think after you get a chance to use them at night. The superb on axis resolution of the Habicht is very apparent when viewing the night sky. It excels at splitting doubles and yields the most pinpoint stars I've ever seen at 8x.

Steve

Hi Steve

It was yours and Eric's comments on Cloudy Nights that piqued my interest in the 8x30W and I have no regrets since acquiring one. I am still getting to know it but I am surprised by what it can show in the night sky. The same goes for the Nikon.

Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back