• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Spacemaster 2 dating. (1 Viewer)

tonytoned

Hello Everyone.

I have just recently purchased a used Bushnell Spacemaster 2 (20x60 zoom by 65mm thats what the objective lens measures) in extremely good condition optically and cosmetically in green. I was just wondering if anyone knows how you date Bushnell scopes without any paperwork? If that is possible.

30550836_2m.jpg 30550836_3m.jpg Similar to this.

I must say compared to spotting scopes of today the optics are very good considering.

Any help would be much appreciated

Many thanks Tony

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

Seems like I remember there being a serial number on the objective retaining ring, first 2 numbers being the date of mfg? (Not the part no starting with 61-XXXXX). Could be wrong, been a while since I've looked at a Spacemaster 2. The Japanese made scopes are pretty good optically, made by Kamakura I think. The later Korean made scopes...Not as good.

Hi Tony,

Seems like I remember there being a serial number on the objective retaining ring, first 2 numbers being the date of mfg? (Not the part no starting with 61-XXXXX). Could be wrong, been a while since I've looked at a Spacemaster 2. The Japanese made scopes are pretty good optically, made by Kamakura I think. The later Korean made scopes...Not as good.

Hello slingworks.

Thank you for your reply and taking the time to answer. I have a few images of the objective lens and other things. It looks like the scope was manufactured in Japan, there are 5 digits at the front of the objective lens retaining ring (16867).
I have tried to look online to try and found out more about the 20-60x zoom eyepiece but nothing yet. The scope is in very good condition.

Again thank you for your help.

Tony

20200716_181224.jpg

20200716_181110.jpg

20200716_181153.jpg

20200716_181300.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, the number on the retaining ring trick didn't work on this scope I think :)

That's a later production Spacemaster 2. A great all around scope that still hold's its own. I'd look for a fixed eyepiece. Bshnell, B&L Balscope and thread on Kowa eyepieces fit. Some Opticron eyepieces as well. (Not all). Ebay is a great place to start.

Hmm, the number on the retaining ring trick didn't work on this scope I think :)

That's a later production Spacemaster 2. A great all around scope that still hold's its own. I'd look for a fixed eyepiece. Bshnell, B&L Balscope and thread on Kowa eyepieces fit. Some Opticron eyepieces as well. (Not all). Ebay is a great place to start.

Thanks again for all your help slingworks.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back