• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upgrading from Acuter to smaller scope? (1 Viewer)

Blackdog67

My wife bought herself a fairly cheap used scope a while back. She loved using the scope but finds it a bit too large to trek around with and is looking for something a bit more "portable". I have 2 questions.

1. As she is going to sell the Acuter scope i need to identify what model it is and how much it is worth but i cannot find any markings on the scope. I have attached photos so if anyone can help identify it i'd be extremely grateful.

2. What scopes should she be looking at which will give her great optical quality in a compact(ish) scope? We don't have money to burn but we recognise that quality comes at a price and that a good quality scope will probably last her a lifetime. For that reason we haven't put a limit on the budget, it's more important that we get the right scope.

Any help with either of those questions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1249.JPEG
    IMG_1249.JPEG
    983.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1250.JPEG
    IMG_1250.JPEG
    952.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1251.JPEG
    IMG_1251.JPEG
    642.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1252.JPEG
    IMG_1252.JPEG
    622.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1254.JPEG
    IMG_1254.JPEG
    601.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1255.JPEG
    IMG_1255.JPEG
    502.9 KB · Views: 9
It looks like an Acuter DS pro 80mm perhaps.

Depending upon budget, any of the following would be worth considering, the best option is to visit a local stocking and test them side by side.

For something more compact which doesn't sacrifice performance, a 60-65mm scope with ED glass would be your best bet.

To ease the financial burden, look for second hand MM4 60mm (my preferred choice of compact 'scope but not tried the small Swarovski offering).
Hopefully, you have a decent optics shop within a few hours drive so you can look through a few alternatives - they might even do trade-in or a commission sale as part of the deal

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back