• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oly C-740UZ Optional Parts Requests (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
I have an Olympus C-740UZ that I love very much.

However, when photographing birds that are great distances away, the digital zoom just distorts the image so much that the quality suffers. I plan to purchase a larger add-on lens, a taller tripod, and maybe a few other goodies (like remote shutter release, triplights, etc.).

Can the C-740 be outfitted with a triplight of some sort, or is that option for the more professional cameras like the Canon 10D? Also, can anyone give me a list of companies manufacturing/distributing remote shutter release devices and/or larger lenses for my camera?

Any information will be greatly appreciated!

gthang

I second that - I've just won an C740 on Ebay and would love to know if it can be "tricked out" :) There must be a way of giving it a remote shutter release like the 750 ?
Also when adding an extra 2 x lense - do I need the lense adapter or will it just attach the the existing Camera Lense ?

I have the Olympus C2100UZ and prior to that the C2000Z which were predecessors to the C7** series.

The C7** can take additional lenses using the CLA4 adapter. Personally I use the Tcon14 -1.4x converter and the Tcon17 (aka B300) -1.7x converters. Each can be used alone or with a bit of DIY to cement a step ring to the front of the Tcon14, can be used in tandem to produce near digiscoping distances.

This link shows some examples of using the Olympus C2100 with the Tcon14+Tcon17 in tandem - HERE

The Tcon17 alone give results as good as the camera lens alone. Adding the Tcon14 does reduce quality of image but gets you decent sized shots - though the C2100UZ has a very good image stabiliser which the more recent C7** unfortunately doesn't - on birght days resutls should still be decent enough though.

I never use the digital zoom as all it does it enlarge the pixels already recorded at 10x optical zoom. It does nothing to improve the size of the image. You may as well record at 10x and crop the image on the computer for the same result.

nikovich said:
thanks Ian ...but is there anyway for a remote shutter release to be used on a C740 ?

By remote doyou mean a cable shutter release? If you do Eagleye do a generic shutter rease bracket that wil allow you to do the job.

My C2100UZ came with an electronic remote control which worked to a degree -though not much use for bird photography as really it was most effective when pointed at the front of the camera - not ideal as I never managed to train any birds to press it at the appropriate moment ;) There is a time delay in using it so it's pot luck whether you get the pose you want. I don't know whether the C740 has this facility.

The EagleEye Generic Bracket+cable should work fine though on the C2100UZ the tripod bush was made of plastic, so repeated use of it eventually stripped the threads. I don't know whether the same may be true for the C740. The body can be plastic but the bush itself should be metal - else it's virtually useless as apart from stripping the threads it flexes.

I have a 50' air release cable for even more remote use in the garden. Again it's use is very limited for bird photos when timing is everything as there is quite a delay between squeezing the bulb and the shutter being released.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back