• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Average blur . (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
hello all

this is the first time i try to do this with PSE 7, usually i like natural setting but in this shot i thought the too much details on the BG is not showing the bird right.

please tell me what you think, don't worry i am a good sport (hopefully 8-P).

thanks

Attachments

• gw13a.jpg
    gw13a.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 157
  • gw13d.jpg
    gw13d.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 182
I think you've done a great job Dulce, a great improvement and a good clean picture. Only other improvements I can think of is a little more space in front of the bird and the background a little lighter so it 'pops' out at you more, but that's just my preference.

I agree with JH, the crop (if it's cropped ) is a little tight for me but the de-cluttering is a great job.

Is that a feather underneath the rump or some other artifact?.........and something's taken a bite out of the twig near the birds beak while you were working on it. ;)

thanks for this John H, yes it is cropped but not much, he was very close to where i was hiding. guess will have another look at the original and take the bird a little bit away from the center.

LOL john you are so right and i also saw a bit of green under the birds left leg in between the feathers wonder what will i do with it. also it seems that i lost the claw on the right feet.

thanks so much for this really helpful.

the

For my eye it is all a bit stark, it screams out that the bird has been cut from the background. Which is fine if you are going to use it as such, for example with a transparent background as a graphic in a publication.

If your aim was to declutter the background so as to emphasise the bird, I would have just removed the prominent stalk on the right and the one behind the bird but left the background looking like out of focus undergrowth.

A few critiques on the mask, you have notched the twig the bird is on near the bill, you have lost a couple of toes and left what looks like a twig sticking out of its behind!

For me it looks like the bird has been cut out. I would have used gaussian blur to blur the BG just a little bit but still making out objects behind the bird but it is still a nice shot

Very fine image indeed, agree with Mono on this.

I like it still with the background in, I think what would be better is to remove the bird, then defocus the background, then put the bird back.

To get the image professionally perfect, you have to remove the bird from the background, clean up the background, then feather blur the image edge into the background using channel mask. It will take time this way.

You can cheat by selecting a suitable brush and using the blur tool to go around the edge.

Never Gaussian blur a background against an image you will just get a halo effect.

I think you did a great job but I too would prefer the blur as it would give a little more varience of tones to the background,but what you did does compliment the bird very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back