• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extra limital BOP.....? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Watching a Buzzard (Epping Forest, Grtr.London) lazily drifting over yonder wood, when above...I noticed something much higher up...almost a dot! With just one shot before my camera sensor ''lost it'' much to my annoyance!

Comments welcome

Cheers

Attachments

• P1230361.jpeg  BOP 3..jpeg
    P1230361.jpeg BOP 3..jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 438
Displaying Accipiter for me too; most likely a Sparrowhawk. Extralimital to/of what, may I ask?

......to the limitations of my 16x optical!

It was considerably higher than the Buzzard, and did give albeit an impression (subjective some might say) of being of a reasonable size? The tail in particular looking extremely broad, not unlike the wings, quite unlike female A.nisus imo. and I do see a lot of both gender.

Mince Pies to the skies. :eek!:

In my opinion, this is most likely a Sparrowhawk. The undertail coverts are fluffed out, giving a misleading impression (in my opinion) of a fuller vent. The tail seems square-ended and there's no obvious protruding head.
Regards,
Harry

In my opinion, this is most likely a Sparrowhawk. The undertail coverts are fluffed out, giving a misleading impression (in my opinion) of a fuller vent. The tail seems square-ended and there's no obvious protruding head.
Regards,
Harry

When first seen it appeared to my eye as being bigger and bulkier than Sprawk, albeit perhaps several hundred feet above the Buzzard (thus always mindful of size illusion real or otherwise, whilst comparing like for like), I then reached for the camera and from the single (1 sec film clip shot), I salvaged just 2 useable grabs.

This 2nd last grab although of the same resolution, appears to show the birds head looking down and showing a white nape and isolated hood?

The overall general impression given, was of a bulky displaying Accip. that seemed to ''compare'' size wise with the Buteo below, even allowing for the height difference between the two birds...those hips look extremely wide to me, irrespective of the flared UTC's.

cheers

Attachments

• P1230360.jpeg  BOP 2..jpeg
    P1230360.jpeg BOP 2..jpeg
    65.5 KB · Views: 206
Another thought - having visited England last weekend and noted an overall change in the shape of the human population, I wonder if local Sparrowhawks are following suit, hence the 'wide hips' that Ken commented on;)

Last edited:
Apart from that Sparrowhawks in London are 3 a penny, and Goshawks in London as rare as hen's teeth ;)

Britain just doesn't have urban Goshawks the way Germany does, sadly.

If I may bring you up to speed Nutcracker, in 2013 the London Bird Report had records from Herts, Middx. and Essex with comments..that several records had yet to be submitted, possibly Rainham?...Hopefully that will extract the hen's teeth ;)

Current UK population, conservative estimate 400-500 pairs (almost certainly under recorded...perhaps not unlike Hawfinch, also a past master at stealth movement), having had the privilege of on occasion seeing the former hunting, invariably ground hugging, or submersed beneath the canopy, it's no wonder that more often than not, it goes unrecorded!

Two images supplied of gentilis, first one seven years ago in Shropshire with Red Kite (note apparent short broad tail, and the compact shape, second image taken several years ago within M25 (10 mins. by car from the house).

B :)

Attachments

• Gshwk.apart (2).jpg
    Gshwk.apart (2).jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Accip.4 April 14th 2013.jpg
    Accip.4 April 14th 2013.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 239
in 2013 the London Bird Report had records from Herts, Middx. and Essex with comments..that several records had yet to be submitted, possibly Rainham?

The very fact that the London Bird Report lists these records and mentions several have yet to be submitted confirms Nutcracker's comments are correct, i.e. they are rare in London.

Can you imagine the London Bird report saying 'several records of Sparrowhawk are yet to be submitted'?

Two images supplied of gentilis, first one seven years ago in Shropshire with Red Kite (note apparent short broad tail, and the compact shape, second image taken several years ago within M25 (10 mins. by car from the house).

B :)

First Gos is an unidentifiable raptor, second Gos is a displaying Sparrowhawk

First Gos is an unidentifiable raptor, second Gos is a displaying Sparrowhawk

Really!...what do you think of these then?.....

Attachments

• Accip.3.April 14th.2013.jpg
    Accip.3.April 14th.2013.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Accip.7 April 14th 2013.jpg
    Accip.7 April 14th 2013.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 215
  • Accip.8.April 14th 2013.jpg
    Accip.8.April 14th 2013.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 174
  • Accip.9 April 14th 2013.jpg
    Accip.9 April 14th 2013.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 97
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back