• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

After the Shopping-Comes the Lake. (1 Viewer)

Judo

Hi All,
I went out to do some shopping today and on the way home I stopped by the lake. It was late afternoon and the light was going, but I took some photos and I have attached some of them. I spent a pleasant half-hour watching the Swans, Ducks etc. & recovering from the stress & the hustle & bustle of the shops, enjoying the peaceful sound of the Quacking and gentle lap of the water as the birds swam by, before it became too cold to stand around any longer. So then it was back to a warm house and a nice cuppa!
Hope you enjoy the photos, and could anyone please confirm the Duck in No. 1 is a Tufted Duck?? if I'm right and it is, then that is the first one I've seen. I know they're a common bird(according to my book) but I've only recently started to take an interest in Waterfowl, so every new one that I can id is exciting for me!! Thanks.
All the Best to All,

Attachments

• Tufted Duck.jpg
    Tufted Duck.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 45
  • Swans etc....jpg
    Swans etc....jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Swan,  Young Swans, & Coots (1).jpg
    Swan, Young Swans, & Coots (1).jpg
    122 KB · Views: 43
  • Swan,  Young Swans, & Coots.jpg
    Swan, Young Swans, & Coots.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Young Swans.jpg
    Young Swans.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 36
Hi Judo,

In a word 'Yes'. Another lifer!

I always thought that the Ladies found shopping therapeutic (or that's what my wife tells me).

Looks like the Swans had a good breeding year, and what a lot of Coots you have.

Bill.

Hi Judo, I would say that was a perfect way to wind down after hitting the shops!!

Lovely photos Judo :t: Thanks for sharing o:)

Hi Judo Definitely a Tufted, well done, not bad a lifer after shopping. lucky you. I thought the last pic was a water plant at first, Hmm too early in the morning obviously.

Good Birding PeterK

Hi Judo,
Yes a lovely male Tufted,what lovely pics they are too!! And a nice reward for going shopping!
Bill,I'm sorry to spoil your image about shopping and women.......but I HATE IT!!!!!!! and no-way is it theraputic to me!!!!!!!!!!......give me a walk across cold,wet soggy fields in me wellies anyday!!!!
Best wishes,

Lovely Judo! And I know exactly what you mean about the ducks being therapeutic. I have found this simple pleasure to be just the right tonic many a time. It must be the combination of water and wildlife that does it.
And Ruth - my feelings exactly! I have always hated shopping, and especially at this time of year too. Who are all these people that go in for 'retail therapy' ? After retail hell we need bird therapy!

Hi Judo, What a good idea you had after a stressful day. I quite enjoy shopping but not at this time of the year when it is so busy, just come away with a headache.

I'm not sure whether I've seen a Tufted Duck or not! He's certainly a handsome chap. Like you I'm only just noticing and IDing the ducks and waders and still find many difficult. It is exciting to see something new and ID it for yourself isn't it, we always enjoy looking out onto a pool with our faithful bird book.
Love the swans too!
Best wishes.

Hello All,
Thank you all for your replies and kind words.
Bill, Thank you for confirming 'my' Tufted Duck, :bounce:YAY!! As for shopping, YUK!! One of the necessary evils in my book!!Could live very happily without it!!
Pam, It was a welcome relief!! The shops are getting sooooo busy!!
Peter, Thank you too for the confirmation, I'm so pleased!! :D It's so great to see a new bird isn't it?
Ruth, Thanks, And I'm with you re shopping!! :storm: Anyone who likes it can come and do mine for me ;) Offers on a postcard please!
Renée, Looks like we're of one mind on this!! It was a lovely way to destress!! I can highly recommend it!!
Kezza, Get yourself round to my house straight away!! I'll give you a list ;) LOL
Yes, the water birds are difficult, it doesn't make it any easier with them having so many different plumages at different times of the year!! But it's good fun trying!
Thanks once again everyone. So glad you liked them.
All the Best to All,

Well I'm glad we are all as one re the shopping and don't even get me started on xmas!!!!! :storm:
All I can say on the subject is thank you very much to Amazon and Play.com!!!!!!!! ;)

Kezza, Get yourself round to my house straight away!! I'll give you a list LOL

Hmm, well I would Judo but you see I haven't done my own yet, sorry! I was supposed to go today but I've not sorted out my lists properly and keep getting distracted here!
As Ruth says, hooray for internet shopping. I do loads at Tesco, Ebay and play.com without getting a headache! Then I can enjoy just alittle shopping in the 'real' shops after. :gh:

Hi Judo,
How lovely! I would love to see a Tufted Duck, he's so cute.
I started off thinking wetland birds were just nice to see but now I'm also more interested in them.
They are so calming to watch as well. It's a great idea to wind down.
I keep my wellies in the boot & often go to the Nature Reserve after work, I do have to be careful & keep my eye on the time, it goes dark very quickly & being a bit of a dreamer, I loose track of time & distance.

Thanks for posting your lovely "wind down" pics Judo

Hi pie,
Thanks for the reply. The Tufted is nice 'int' he. I noticed them straight away as something different that I'd not seen before. Yes, do take great when you're out pie, you'll have to get one of those watches with an alarm, then you could set it to remind you it's time to go home!!
So glad you liked 'my' ducks & swans.
All the Best pie,

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back