• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Buzzard I saw today (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

Coming back along the A35 today (okay it was our Xmas party last night so maybe my eyes were not quite right!) I noticed a Common Buzzard (I assume) sitting on a fence post right by the roadside (I would say 500m south of the Cat and Fiddle Pub, on the north side, the fence is the boundary of the field that is a PYO in the summer).

I was really struck by how 'Arctic' it looked - whilst I have seen great colour variation in Common Buzzards I never remember seeing one quite so pale and with an all white chest.

I wish I could have stopped to get a better look.

Rob S

Coming back along the A35 today (okay it was our Xmas party last night so maybe my eyes were not quite right!) I noticed a Common Buzzard (I assume) sitting on a fence post right by the roadside (I would say 500m south of the Cat and Fiddle Pub, on the north side, the fence is the boundary of the field that is a PYO in the summer).

I was really struck by how 'Arctic' it looked - whilst I have seen great colour variation in Common Buzzards I never remember seeing one quite so pale and with an all white chest.

I wish I could have stopped to get a better look.

Rob S

I believe extremely pale types as you have described, might well originate from Germany/Scandinavia.

Cheers

Sorry I'm late on this one.Been trying to work out what PYO stands for,only just got it but I won't spoil it for others by printing it here....Eddy

I believe extremely pale types as you have described, might well originate from Germany/Scandinavia.

Cheers

Indeed. I've seen some in Brandenburg that seemed to emulate the general markings of Short-toed Eagle!:eek!:
MJB

Ah that'll be it then, as it was on the Hants / Dorset border it's probably been suppressed for a while ;-)

My first self found ;-)

By the way MJB, the White Cottage was very nice indeed

Cheers

I have found over the years that there are more pale types in the SW of Britain, but they can turn up anywhere. I think it would be a bold birder that attributed a geographical origin to any of them.

John

A few examples from near Paderborn, Germany:

Attachments

• ARD_7870.JPG
    ARD_7870.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_1274.JPG
    DSC_1274.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC_6821.JPG
    DSC_6821.JPG
    207.7 KB · Views: 41
I have found over the years that there are more pale types in the SW of Britain, but they can turn up anywhere. I think it would be a bold birder that attributed a geographical origin to any of them.

John

Having lived in Devon I completely agree: Watching the buzzards in spring breeding displays (and so presumably local birds) there were certainly some some very pale morphs present in the population there -some nearly as pale on wing patterns as the German photos posted by Andy Hurley.

Now I'm over in Northamptonshire I don't tend to see these paler individuals but that may simply be due to the reduced buzzard density here.

Tom

I have never seen them so white has in Andys pictures, but do agree that the further south you go the paler they become, i was recently in the SW and spotted a Buzzard with so much white in it i thought it was a different species.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back