• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Welsh wanderings...... (1 Viewer)

Ruth Daniel

Hello everyone,

Well after all the emotions and stress of last weekend (depositing my youngest son at University) we decided that this weekend would be a birding one,so early yesterday we set off for N.Wales.

Our first stop was Llandudno and in particular the Great Orme.....a huge headland jutting out into the Irish Sea and a great spot for "lost migrants"......not to mention the superb views over to the Isle of Anglesey.

As we pulled into the little car park half way up near an ancient church we saw the welcome sign of a line of spotting scopes and knew we were in for a good day!! Hurrying out of the car with scope and bins and that feeling of excitement we soon spotted our main target......a beautiful female juvenile Woodchat Shrike was being very obliging and perching herself on top of fence posts for all to get a good view!! (It was at this point that I remembered we'd forgotten the camera :eek!: but she was a lifer for both of us and I desperately wanted to record the sighting so I quickly held my mobile phone to the scope and just before she flitted onto the ground managed to get a picture......not good by all means but you can clearly make out that it is indeed a Shrike) We watched her as she fed on insects by dropping down onto the ground and then re-perching on the numerous fence posts....her streaked cream plumage and brown uppers with curved bill were all clearly visible....she was a real beauty!!!! :t:

Next stop was Conwy RSPB where we were lucky enough to pick out a lone Little Stint amongst a flock of Dunlin....some still hanging on to their dark plumage making it easier to spot the lighter and slightly smaller Little Stint as it busily scurried about in the mud for food.We also saw here Red Breasted Mergansers,Little Egrets,Redshank and scores of wonderful Widgeon whistling loudly on the estuary!

As the tide was now incoming next stop was Llanfairfechan another great birding spot this time for sea viewing as with the incoming tide come the divers etc as the fish/food are channelled into a small area between the mainland and Anglesey. We immediately saw 12+ Great Crested Grebes (always seem out of place in the sea somehow to me?),more Red Breasted Mergansers and 2 Red Throated divers with their familiar up-turned bills were also easliy spotted....then a line of Common Scoters further out and amongst them an American visitor that has been here for a long time now a Black Scoter.....not easy to see but every now and then as he turned and the sun caught him the large yellow bill became dignostic.

So all in all a smashing birding day with another lifer for us to add to our list,(13 so far for the year) and maybe next time we WILL remember the camera!!!! |:$|

Best wishes to all,

Attachments

• Woodchat Shrike.jpg
    Woodchat Shrike.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 68
Hi Ruth.
You don't mention quantity, but you certainly saw quality. What a cracking day, with some really good birds. Well done with the photo: from phone through scope that's not a bad shot at all. Old Chinese proverb says, " She who rushes forgets camera." Slowly, slowly next time. LOL!!

All the best.
Baz.

Hi Ruth,
What a lovely day you had! The Woodchat Shrike looks a real cutie! o:)
I have never seen one of those, in fact all the birds you saw would have been new to me except the GC Grebes and L Egrets. Red Throated Divers are ones I'd like to see. I have been to Llandudno and the Great Orme a few times, but that was when I didn't notice birds! I'll pay more attention next time I'm up that way.
|=)|

Hi Ruth,

A great and very productive day out but.......... (sigh).

There's an old saying that goes 'Never regret the things that you did, only the things that you didn't do'. Does that ever apply to cameras! The birds that I've only seen once and didn't photograph!

Bill

P.S. Including a Woodchat Shrike in N Norfolk in '87.

Last edited:
Hi Ruth We did the exact same route last November, the Great Orme was being battered by a gale, so very little able to fly there, never seen a Woodchat. We did well at Conwy and Llanfairfechan, but the on shore gale defeated us in the end. Glad you had better luck and better weather. Spent more time in the church than birding on the Orme that day, but did find some rare Waxcaps (fungi) on the way back down to Conwy.

Good Birding PeterK

Hi Ruth and all

Sounds like a good and rewarding day and a nice area. Isn't that area near where a certain Welsh Wizard hangs out? Your telescope has served you well this year.

cheers

brianfm said:
Hi Ruth and all

Sounds like a good and rewarding day and a nice area. Isn't that area near where a certain Welsh Wizard hangs out? Your telescope has served you well this year.

cheers

Yes it is.

I was there on saturday, first stop was Conwy, with the little stint. then the great Orme at 3pm for the woodchat shrike and greater short toed lark (was still showing yesterday and today). all of which where lifers.

Also reported from the great orme yesterday where lapland bunting, black terns and richards pipit.

Last edited:
Some gorgeous birds there Ruth :t: in a part of the world I MUST visit soon

*muttersunderbreath:RSPBGroupTripBrian!!!!!* :'D

And 13 lifers this year - that's brilliant! :clap: I'm currently on seven though hoping for a couple more in the coming months before the year is out. All adds to the fun I find!

Hi Ruth,
What a lovely day you out you had. The photo is very good too, considering the circs., well done!
All the Best, Judo.

Gill Osborne said:
Some gorgeous birds there Ruth :t: in a part of the world I MUST visit soon

*muttersunderbreath:RSPBGroupTripBrian!!!!!* :'D

If you'll be needing a guide theres plenty of birders in that area. some like Alan (manager of Conwy RSPB), mike (warden at conwy RSPB) and Marc (runs the birding conwy website). (these are the ones who pop into my head) are some of the best in the reigon.

Hi Ruth,

Sounds a wonderful day out, rewarding too and not too bad a shot of the Woodchat all things considered. Good to see the amount of Birds seen all told too, well done! Re the GC Grebes, they adapt in order to get the food, much like Herons etc do.

Lovely to read.

Sue

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your replies,
Ant,I was looking for you! A day too late eh? lol!
Peter,the new cafe and shop has now opened at Conwy RSPB.........a good excuse for another visit.....and a cuppa with a view!!!
Gill,I can recommend the whole area for a visit,just make sure that you pick me up on the way!!!! :t:
Best wishes to all,

Hi Ruth,
Sounds like you had a brilliant birding day, well done, and quick thinking with the t'scope.

Glad you enjoyed Wales, Ive never visited North Wales but have read so much about it's wonderful scenery.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back