• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Gull & Mother Question! (1 Viewer)

KQ1

Hi,

I am not experienced in any knowledge regarding birds of any species. However, I did some research this morning, and found this to be the most knowledgable site to help.

In my office building, there are a lot of gulls across the road on rooftops, never took notice until today I saw 2 little tiny feathered brown gulls popping there head out squaking at mummy. I've watched since, and growing increasingly worried due to the high winds. Also, mum isn't leaving often to get food, and when she returns she only has enough for babies, none for herself. She also got into a fight this afternoon, or what apperaed to be a fight anyway. Herself and a larger bird were squabbling. A lot of shrieking took place, then one gull (unable to identify who) had the others beak in its mouth and wouldn't let go. The babies are also being left along a lot, and I have heard that parents watch from nearby roofs, but due to the excessive amount of gulls around, I don't know if it is the parents or not.
I should have mentioned there are 2 babies and only one parent in view. I'm worried about the amount of food they are recieving as there aren't many bins etc around as we are in a business park (no residentials nearby). Should I intervine, are they okay? Advice please.

Hi KQ1 and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BF :t:

No need to worry. Gulls have been raising their young, like this for years upon years and while it may seem a bit raw at times, it is still nature ;)

My only worry is, will they survive? I did through a little food out, after many attempts of shooing the other gulls (finally I was successful), I managed to through a little bird food out but she only fed one her babies, the other came running over for some, and she gave them nothing. I'm a massive animal lover, and although seagulls are supposed to be pains, I do admire her for looking out for her lil ones, so if I can help, I will.

Hi KQ1 and a warm welcome from me too.

All this behaviour is so normal. Observe and enjoy, it can be really interesting... and fun too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back