• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bausch & Lomb 8x24 Legacy - any good? (1 Viewer)

sammyboy

I brought a rather used-looking pair of B&L 8x24 binoculars for £7.50 as I'd heard good things about B&L binoculars, and as my little Zeisses were off being serviced would be a good pair to use whilst waiting for them return. It says in the listing they are some sort of Olympic trade-in I think - something to do with the Canadian Olympic Association? After a good search around but can't find much about this specific model but look identical to the Legacy binoculars - the version with a protruding circular focus wheel rather than one partially sunk into the body of the binoculars (if that makes sense lol!)

I've not seen much on this particular model - are they as well regarded as other Bausch & Lomb binoculars?

(I must stop buying binoculars too before the missus throttles me too!)

Wouldn't have thought you could go far wrong for £7.50! It sounds like a pair I bought (new) a few years back for my Dad, which have proved very useful indeed. B&L are a leading brand and their optics are usually very good. Certainly good enough as a back up....

Just what I thought, something to keep in the car, or stick in a bag 'just in case', or just sitting in the garden watching Swifts! Just hoping that they are optically OK as the listing was a bit sparse, just stating in 'working order'. Collimation I hope won't be an issue, but should just be a case of locating the adjusting screws to sort that! One of the eyecups looks rather discoloured but will try to clean that up, they do look rather used.

Never had a B&L pair of binoculars before, and from what I've read they ceased to exist binocular wise in about 2004 being rebranded as Bushnells, it will be interesting to see how they stack up against my 8x20b Zeiss and 8x32 Minoxes :)

Just a quick follow up, the binoculars finally arrived today, they have a date of '12-1992' on them so looks like they were produced for the Barcelona Olympics, also have the Olympic rings on the top of the prism housing. Very clear, collimated and relaxed view, certainly worth the £7.50! Very plasticky though, the binoculars creak in you hand, though the focussing is smooth and snappy, it's a shame the B&L name is no longer around :(

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back