• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bushnell Legend Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Mick Johnson

I'm looking for a decent pair of bino's and know next to nothing about them.

I'm no birdwatcher but do a lot of photography from hides etc and am always walking about the countryside and always carry a pair anyway.

I do have a pair now that my Grandad left when he died. Think they are made by Swift but the minimun focus is quite a long way off.

I've read a few posts about different types and think I want the Legend 8 x 42 (porro). I don't know what porro means but like I said I've read a few posts and believe they are better quailty if you ain't spending too much.

So, are they any good? I would be happy to spend a bit more but they will probabaly get abused.

Bushnell Legend 8x42 Porro

Mick,

Have only recently joined and saw your post re the above. I purchased the said bins for a friend after doing the numbers for bins in the A$150 to A$300 range. Field of view (FOV), optics build and weight were the deciders. I believe that porros still give the best 'bang for your buck' in the lower end of the market. I use Pentax 8x43 DCF SPs and Zeiss 7x42 T*FLs (both roof prism bins) for my day to day activity. These bins are about 2.5 and 7 times the cost of the Legend 8x42 Porros, respectively.

Performance wise the Bushnells stand up very well considering the price difference - the compromise is water resistance, optics quality and robustness, when you compare to roof prism binoculars. The Legends have a great FOV and a bright image. If you need any of the previous features then Nikon Monarchs or the Pentax DCF SPs may be an option (if you can justify spending more on bins for everyday use).

You may have already made a decision given the date of your post, but if not, hope this info helps.

Regards
Rob

Mick,

Have only recently joined and saw your post re the above. I purchased the said bins for a friend after doing the numbers for bins in the A$150 to A$300 range. Field of view (FOV), optics build and weight were the deciders. I believe that porros still give the best 'bang for your buck' in the lower end of the market. I use Pentax 8x43 DCF SPs and Zeiss 7x42 T*FLs (both roof prism bins) for my day to day activity. These bins are about 2.5 and 7 times the cost of the Legend 8x42 Porros, respectively.

Performance wise the Bushnells stand up very well considering the price difference - the compromise is water resistance, optics quality and robustness, when you compare to roof prism binoculars. The Legends have a great FOV and a bright image. If you need any of the previous features then Nikon Monarchs or the Pentax DCF SPs may be an option (if you can justify spending more on bins for everyday use).

You may have already made a decision given the date of your post, but if not, hope this info helps.

Regards
Rob

Thank's for that Rob.

I did get these and am more than happy with them for what I use them for.

I wanted a cheapish pair because I keep them in my van and they will get some abuse.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back