• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (1 Viewer)

Would dearly like to spend more time in the far west,but, my car is a heavy drinker!! Shame about the bee-eater,but, always nice to see any of the shrikes. A pal of mine has just come back from a weeks birding in Hungary,red back shrikes in every bush.
fiddler.

Is Pentire near Polzeath, across from Padstow Fiddler? The likes of Puffin and Corn Bunting might see me going for a trip if it is! Thanks

Bake Lakes Trerulefoot

This is a complex of lakes for angling not far from Treruefoot took my son there fishing and i spent a few hours wallking around the lakes.Lots of bird life there and loads of dragonflies about.Had good views of two pairs of Sedge Warblers plus two Reed Warblers allso herd but not seen a Grasshopper Warbler, on the main lake ther are 15 Tufted Duck plus Mallards Coots Moorhen and a Pair of Little Grebe and Canada Geese House Martin Swallows and Swifts flying low over the lakes.

Attachments

• IMG_1853_1.jpg
    IMG_1853_1.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1854_1.jpg
    IMG_1854_1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 150
Yes i was talking to the owner and he has seen them there in the past as well as an Osprey fly over will have to start watching this area as it is not to far from home.

Liking the new site Conorbirda2, it has great potential. I was wondering if there has been any news on the Colliford black duck near Bodmin?? Has it definately gone or just not been looked for??? Thanks.

P.s. saw the corn buntings yesterday Fiddler, 7 of them on roadside wires on between Padstow and Newquay on the coast near Bedruthan Steps.

Great.Anything else about? A good place to see redstarts is basstreet on east bodmin moor.A couple of years ago there was a pair of breeding cirl buntings at basstreet.
fiddler.

Liking the new site Conorbirda2, it has great potential. I was wondering if there has been any news on the Colliford black duck near Bodmin?? Has it definately gone or just not been looked for??? Thanks.

P.s. saw the corn buntings yesterday Fiddler, 7 of them on roadside wires on between Padstow and Newquay on the coast near Bedruthan Steps.

Thanks mate, its taking some time getting off the ground but will get there in the end! Not heard anything about the Black Duck since its first report, which is quite suprising. Out of interest, Corn Bunts are really easy at Pentire point. I had a flock of about 30 there last year aswell as few Yellowhammers. Regards, Paul.

Great.Anything else about? A good place to see redstarts is basstreet on east bodmin moor.A couple of years ago there was a pair of breeding cirl buntings at basstreet.
fiddler.

Fiddler, do you fancy doing an article on Basstreet for the website? I dont know the area at all and im sure it would be useful to other birders?

Yes i was talking to the owner and he has seen them there in the past as well as an Osprey fly over will have to start watching this area as it is not to far from home.

Chris, same for you. Do you fancy doing a bit about those lakes for the website? Still waiting for some pictures from you buddy! regards, Paul

Paul will send you a few pics from the trip i have put a few on my gallery on here,have not been out much as i have not been to good.Had a look on your web site looks good can i post pics on it yet.The lakes that i went to the outher day the owner said thatt there was a Snow Goose there a few weeks back have there been any around the county.

Not heard anything about the Black Duck since its first report, which is quite suprising.

Hi Paul,

The Black Duck has been at Colliford since about 2000 but is only seen very very rarely. I'm certain he's breeding with local Mallards on the moor but not necessarily at Colliford as there are one or two hybrids around. A Black Duck X Mallard spent last winter at Wacker Quay and had the old heart pounding when I first saw it.

Darrell

I'm coming down to Cornwall this Summer (August). Could anyone help me with any key sites for Birds and wildlife near Holsworthy and the surrounding areas.

Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Hi Paul,

The Black Duck has been at Colliford since about 2000 but is only seen very very rarely. I'm certain he's breeding with local Mallards on the moor but not necessarily at Colliford as there are one or two hybrids around. A Black Duck X Mallard spent last winter at Wacker Quay and had the old heart pounding when I first saw it.

Darrell

Thanks Darrell. I still need Black Duck for Britain. Dipped a few! Hope this answers HENERZ question.

Paul will send you a few pics from the trip i have put a few on my gallery on here,have not been out much as i have not been to good.Had a look on your web site looks good can i post pics on it yet.The lakes that i went to the outher day the owner said thatt there was a Snow Goose there a few weeks back have there been any around the county.

Hello mate. Hope youre feeling better. Nothing serious i hope? There has been a couple of snow geese (of unknown origin) in the area. Been seen at Copperhouse Creek and Walmsley sanctuary.Theres photos of the latter on cbwps website. Cant post pics yet.You can e mail them to me and i will put them on. Should be able to post the soon aswell as sightings. Take care.

I'm coming down to Cornwall this Summer (August). Could anyone help me with any key sites for Birds and wildlife near Holsworthy and the surrounding areas.

Any help appreciated, Thanks.

Nick, you might want to try maer lake which is owned by cornwall birdwatching society. There is a link to their site on mine (click on link below). There is a section all about the area on their site. Otherwise try getting hold of a copy of "where to watch birds in Devon and Cornwall". Sorry i cant be of more help. Hoping to get more birding sites on the website soon. Regards, Paul.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back