• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Early evening bird call - Central Scotland (1 Viewer)

Scozmos

United Kingdom
Evening all, we've just heard this bird outside the house, never heard it before and Merlin didn't ID it. Anyone know what it is please?

Attachments

• Voxbox_cut_1715197207530.mp3
    627 KB
Thanks Dawsy, without a visual, hard to know eh? I'm not surprised that Merlin couldn't get it but others too!

I thought the chaffinch at the end was a different bird? If not then yeah, it's that.
At times I thought house sparrow tbh.
There is a Chaffinch towards the end, I could see it in the tree, the calling bird sounded like it was on our roof. I wondered about House Sparrow too, we have a hedge full by the house

Last edited:
It does sound very similar to some Great Tit calls, however my guess is a very odd Chaffinch. It gives a clear "chink" towards the end.

Agree. 'One bird in the recording and it's a Chaffinch.

I'd only disagree in that I don't find it odd. It's a Chaffinch sound I hear regularly when they tucked away in trees.

The first screenshot is of the mystery Sparrowfinch, the second shows the Chaffinch spike followed by the mystery Sparrowfinch.
View attachment 1578954
View attachment 1578955

Hi Scozmos,

I'm not sure what the above is but there is only one bird in your recording and it's a Chaffinch; it's the common sound of a Chaffinch scratting around in the trees. It's as a recognisable to me as a Blue Tit scratting around and I doubt many would mistake that.

The only reason I can assume this is deemed to be odd is because it's a bird that is often overlooked. Possibly.

I don't want to labour the point and so I won't go on about it. All I can suggest is next time you see a Chaffinch, stop for a while and listen to the sound of the bird when it gets inside the trees.

Hi Scozmos,

I'm not sure what the above is but there is only one bird in your recording and it's a Chaffinch; it's the common sound of a Chaffinch scratting around in the trees. It's as a recognisable to me as a Blue Tit scratting around and I doubt many would mistake that.

The only reason I can assume this is deemed to be odd is because it's a bird that is often overlooked. Possibly.

I don't want to labour the point and so I won't go on about it. All I can suggest is next time you see a Chaffinch, stop for a while and listen to the sound of the bird when it gets inside the trees.
Got the message cheers, I'll record all the Chaffinches in the garden every day 👍 never heard that from a Chaffinch before but, I doubt I've heard every sound they make

Users who are viewing this thread

Back