• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should you tick "heard only" birds? (1 Viewer)

In my reports I indicate HO's but that doesn't mean I count them on my life list, I don't, it's simply a record. People indicate HO for various reasons, often surveys do it as the only time effective way to monitor species.

As mentioned above, bird mimicry is an issue, I chased African Emerald Cuckoo, which I still haven't seen, all over in South Africa only to find Chorister Robin Chat at the end of every chase. If it wasn't for the fact that I need the Cuckoo and so chased it, there would be several HO's for the species on my report which would be wrong and create a false impression of the abundance of that species.

Several World listers include HO's, it's up to them, it's nowhere near as pleasurable or challenging as tracking down a bird and then seeing it but for listing purposes, it has to be a level playing field. I don't think HO's should count if you intend to be competitive, what you do with your list privately is up to you.

I've been within 3 feet of Blue-naped Pitta which was responding to tape but haven't ticked it as we didn't see it and that one hurt!

A

Last edited:
An age old dilemma. I have no problem in counting such birds as Cettis, Tawny Owl, Water Rail etc as heard only for recording proposes (although I do mark these with a "H" in my notebooks. However, in terms of life lists? Currently do not count them. Maybe I should rethink my fixation on visiblility as I would have at least 3 extras on my life list in the last couple of years. Spent three hours at Lakenheath Fen listening to a little Bittern "barking" away without it ever showing itself. Similarly a great Reed Warbler at Paxton Pits. In both cases these were Known birds having been seen by others earlier on the same day with very distinctive song/calls. Having put in the hours, would a brief sighting have actually been any more satisfying, or just a means to an end? Yet in the past I have ticked birds on only the briefest and often poor and inconclusive views having already made an ID on vocalisation (Nottinghamshire Melodious warbler springs to mind. Sang its head off for 2 hours but only visible for approx. 2 seconds in flight). But as many have said, I suppose we make our own rules. I made my bed and now I have to lie in it. Still, Those birds may not be written down on my list, but at least I know they were there and so was I. Makes me more determined to see one next time it turns up.

I only tick seen only birds, and even then I like to think I have seen them well enough to identify them. I have nagging doubts about including Marmoras Warbler as I only saw it at distance . On the other hand I have seen Quail and Corncrake quite well, after many attempts so it's possible even without the vaguest disturbance.

For my year-list, I'm happy to add on song or call only, as long as it's not a lifer. Several times, Grasshopper Warbler, Tawny Owl and Quail have made the year list without being seen, and I think Cetti's warbler was a heard-only last year.

Like many others, I'm happy to "heard only" birds to a list (year, state, county, etc.), as long as the bird in question is not a lifer. I may yet change this personal rule for hard-to-see tropical and/or nocturnal birds (rails, owls), but so far the only "heard only" birds I've had to worry about have been those that can at least be seen without an extraordinary amount of effort.

As someone new to birding, I don't have the confidence to tick a bird on sound only. I still struggle identifying some on sight, so I'm not really looking to complicate things. I have however started using the calls to support my IDs, but I'm not sure I'll ever give a tick to heard alone.

As someone new to birding, I don't have the confidence to tick a bird on sound only. I still struggle identifying some on sight, so I'm not really looking to complicate things. I have however started using the calls to support my IDs, but I'm not sure I'll ever give a tick to heard alone.

As someone who has done a fair bit of birding but isn't particularly "audio-based", my technique for calls is generally just to recognise a call a call that doesn't sound familiar and investigate it and hopefully find something interesting in doing so, which is probably a fairly safe option for a beginner.

That being said, there are some birds which even for me are arguably more a treat to hear than to see in some ways because they can be so evocative of a certain place or time - Chiffchaff, Raven, Curlew, Tawny Owl, Eider, Cuckoo and Common Swift being great examples.

Learning calls takes time. After 35 years I still get caught out by common birds, let alone baffled by unfamiliar ones. But learning is one of the great joys of birding!

John

Learning calls takes time. After 35 years I still get caught out by common birds, let alone baffled by unfamiliar ones. But learning is one of the great joys of birding!

John

I'm a great believer that it's a natural gift akin to being musical.

My wife who is far less experienced a birder, is far better than me at calls, I don't retain them at all. I can sit listening to a recording for an hour, five minutes after I stop listening I won't remember it but my wife does.

If you don't see the bird there is every chance depending on how notable the call is and how good a birder you are, that an error will be made. My post re mimicry above should be a warning to all. I just find the whole ticking on call a bit unsatisfactory. If you're a competitive lister, you should note on your list if you publish it, how many species are HO's. Jon Hornbuckle (World's top lister) makes sure that it's clear that his published list is all seen birds, others don't and I think that it makes an unfair comparison. One of his close rivals in known for not even trying to see nightbirds and sometimes won't even leave the vehicle if he can hear a bird from his seat, I personally see no point whatever in this approach.

A

Last edited:
I'm a great believer that it's a natural gift akin to being musical.
I think you're right. Luckily, I'm one of those people for whom it's relatively easy. Some cases still get me, though. Great Tits are probably the worst offender here - they can sound like anything. Today I heard one whose call sounded like part of a Tree Pipit song...
Also today, I heard a buzzard call, which I was convinced was coming from a jay. It turned out to be a buzzard after all.

If you're a competitive lister, you should note on your list if you publish it, how many species are HO's.
Definitely, yes.
However, there's also a difference in what bird you're ticking, and which call or song. Some are just too unique to be replicated by other species.

One of his close rivals in known for not even trying to see nightbirds and sometimes won't even leave the vehicle if he can here a bird from his seat, I personally see no point whatever in this approach.
That's odd. Unless it's somehow dangerous to get out of the car?

I think you're right. Luckily, I'm one of those people for whom it's relatively easy. Some cases still get me, though. Great Tits are probably the worst offender here - they can sound like anything. Today I heard one whose call sounded like part of a Tree Pipit song...
Also today, I heard a buzzard call, which I was convinced was coming from a jay. It turned out to be a buzzard after all.

Definitely, yes.
However, there's also a difference in what bird you're ticking, and which call or song. Some are just too unique to be replicated by other species.

That's odd. Unless it's somehow dangerous to get out of the car?

Yep. - Some people are just more musical too - remembering and naming songs or picking a tune up on an instrument. Brain wiring (practice can help though)

- Green Woodpecker, Pheasant etc for starters, then GSWoodpecker, Nuthatch etc

- Sounds like exteme laziness!

For me the emphasis is on seeing - to me the hobby is birdwatching not birdhearing. Tho I suppose birding is more neutral.

That's simply the emphasis of our lives, we are quite visually orientated. But when a Woodlark is singing high in the sky, how much time do you spend watching the dot as opposed to listening to the melody?

John

For those who need to see the bird - how willing are you to disturb something just to see it and add it to your list? Not supposed to be provocative - but surely the need to see the bird increases the likelihood that you'll have to 'go in' after it or try and lure it out with playback.

For those who need to see the bird - how willing are you to disturb something just to see it and add it to your list? Not supposed to be provocative - but surely the need to see the bird increases the likelihood that you'll have to 'go in' after it or try and lure it out with playback.

And that takes us in a whole new direction from the OP.

A

Or watching others disturb it for you - like watching for Quail being flushed by a combine harvester. I'd guess that counts as legitimate disturbance.

Or watching others disturb it for you - like watching for Quail being flushed by a combine harvester. I'd guess that counts as legitimate disturbance.

Birds and many other animals are hyper vigilant and well used to being flushed by many different things, it's in built for survival.

I draw the line at nesting birds or if birds are being prevented from feeding.

A

They are totally separate issues tho, that have been discussed many times.

It's personal choice of course, if you enjoy just hearing birdsong so be it, but I can tell you you are missing out on a quite wonderful hobby or passion in trying to see birds. Each to their own though.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back