• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Audubons. Are ED's worth the extra money? (1 Viewer)

...Jay excepted (and perhaps some other users with flat facial features and thin polycarbonate glasses) can make due with that much ER, ...

Glass lenses, actually.;)

I do lose some FOV, but the FOV is so wide to start with. And the FOV i have is nearly all "sweet spot", (about 7.5 degrees for me).

Glass lenses, actually.;)

I do lose some FOV, but the FOV is so wide to start with. And the FOV i have is nearly all "sweet spot", (about 7.5 degrees for me).

I could live with 7.5*, but I could only see about 6.5*, which feels tunnelesque to me, and that was without my glasses on.

I could "cheat" a bit more FOV out of it by opening the IPD wider than normal, though that put me off center in each EP and dim the views a bit.

The 820s are not Klingon-face friendly. I called Swift and asked if they could retrofit 804 rubber eyecups on the 820, but I was told they didn't do custom installations. In fact, they don't even do their own repairs anymore, they ship the bins to Texas Nautical.

I might be able to persuade Texas Nautical to modify the eyecups, but I'm sure that would cost me a pretty pfennig, and then there's still the flexy betty bridge to deal with, so I'll stick with one of my 804s since the eyecups fit my face well.

The 820s are not Klingon-face friendly. ...they don't even do their own repairs anymore, they ship the bins to Texas Nautical. ...so I'll stick with one of my 804s since the eyecups fit my face well.

That large bony ridge could probably be removed nowdays ;) Tos Koat!

I know, that would not be "honorable"...

Yeah, Texas nautical recently fixed the focus on my Audubon ED's. Good work, and fast.

Re the #804

I think the pre-rubber armor version, like my HR/5 had the best rgonomics of this line.

Yeah, Texas nautical recently fixed the focus on my Audubon ED's. Good work, and fast.

Re the #804

I think the pre-rubber armor version, like my HR/5 had the best rgonomics of this line.

I bought a pair of 804 EDs, but they were optically and mechanically inferior to my MC and FMC 804s.

Pinhead sweet spot and everything was loose including the focus rack, which was even more flexy becky than the 820. However, I did like the look and feel of black reptile skin finish.

I've often wondered if they had been worth trying to repair.

I agree with you about the ergonomics. The round prism housing on the 820s looked promising, but I found the bin awkward to hold even with my bear-sized claws.

The 804's ergonomics suit me better even though next to a contemporary roof like an EL or EDG, they would probably look like dinosaurs.

Lest we forget, if not for Chicxulub, the dominant species on this planet would be reptilian.

Then, for sure, there would be no 820 Audubon, because the eyecups and protruding focuser would never fit the face of a reptilian:

http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads/200405/ent-074-xind-reptilian/240x320.jpg

Last edited:
The eyecups are certainly the weak point of the Swift 820. I think the ED is a bit better image, but in more subtle ways. I don't use glasses, so the ER was not an issue for me. My real problem with the 820 eyecup was the extreme outer diameter of the ocular assembly. This is the only binocular I have ever had that the eyecups were so big around as to become decidedly uncomfortable when I was using them a lot during the course of the day. In the end, I sent them back and kept my 1999 (reworked by Nicholas Crista 804 non ED). The optics are just about inseperable and they are much more comfortable to me. I did like the overall shape of the 820 frame and body a little better than the 804.

The eyecups are certainly the weak point of the Swift 820. ...My real problem with the 820 eyecup was the extreme outer diameter of the ocular assembly

They are big. My favorite rain guard, the one for the old Zeiss Diaylts :t: (the rain guard still available new) will not fit on them, as it does on my other binos.

BTW, the perfect rainguard

The only way to identify these is that the 820 ED weighs 30 oz and the standard 820 weighs 24 oz. That's it. There is no size difference, not even slight color variation, just the weight. Even the markings on the end of the hinge indicate standard 820. Mine weighed 30 oz smack on the button. Tim at Swift weighed several and the 24/30 oz comparison seems valid. That is without the lens and objective caps.

I have a pair of Audubon 820s that weigh 28 oz with out caps what does that make it?

Thanks,

Chad

Hmm...That thread was from some time ago. I had ordered a set of the ED glass and it came marked as the non ED glass. The weight was one way Swift information said the two could be separated. Swift said my serial number indicated ED glass. If yours is marked properly, the ED is supposed to have black rubber armor with a red embedded logo. The non ED is supposed to have gray armor and a yellow embedded logo.

I had the feeling that something happened in the manufacturing of a run of binoculars and I got the impression nobody really knew what happened.

Swift was pretty cooperative with me and even sent me a letter confirming ED glass based on serial number. I wound up returning through the dealer for a refund since I did not like the diameter of the ocular assembly.

So for what yours is, if there is a question, call Swift would be my suggestion.

I saw after I posted that the thread was old. Do you have any idea of the time frame the mislabeling was?

I'll call Swift tomorrow.

Thanks,

Chad

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back