• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron ED/HD/VHD glass and coatings - very confused! (1 Viewer)

Sylvandale

United Kingdom
Looking around at used binoculars, I've been trying to understand the various letters used by Opticron to denote their mid- to upper-end models over the last decade. There are: ED, HD, HD+, VHD and VHD+. I'm not especially concerned about the finer technical distinctions, but just whether the HD/HD+/VHD/VHD+ models all include ED glass. In pretty much all cases, these models are 'higher' in the range than some ED models, so does that necessarily mean they all include ED glass, as well as (presumably) other improvements? It is not often clear from the online specifications.

I have read enough posts to realise that (a) ED and HD to some extent mean whatever each manufacturer wants them to mean and (b) the sanest approach is not to worry about it and just rely on your own eyes. But testing is not always easy if buying an older (used) model and so I am hoping someone can clarify what Opticron has meant by these various terms, so I can understand what level of quality should be expected.

Thanks.

Hi and welcome.

There are probably about 300 different glass types available at any one time.

These vary over time.

So the only way to know if a binocular suits you, is to use it yourself.

In addition, each person has different eye sight.
Some use glasses some don't.
Some even use monocles.

Also the optical design of binoculars varies a lot.

I think your question doesn't have a real answer.

Regards,
B.

So it goes HD, HD+, ED, ED & VHD+, ED & VHD

HD+ means that there is no ED glass - it is a step down.

VHD+ system was amazing. VHD, to me? Is two steps up - a true leap in image quality.

I work, and also bird with the Opticron Aurora VHD and it is an astoundingly good instrument for professional use.

ED, HD, HD+, VHD and VHD+....But testing is not always easy if buying an older (used) model and so I am hoping someone can clarify what Opticron has meant by these various terms, so I can understand what level of quality should be expected.
Hi and welcome... ;)

The Fairy Ultra with the new PSQ07XYZ formula washes your laundry even more gently and whiter, the colors become even brighter and more brilliant after washing...:rolleyes:

IMO, most of it is advertising poetry...

HD is probably stolen from advertising for televisions, at best ED (Extra Low Dispersion) still makes sense although there are differences here too, everything else is a mystery.

Andreas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back