• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 questions (1 Viewer)

Peewee

I have read quite a lot here about this new bin. I think it could be my next but I have a few questions before I pull the creditcard. I hope some of you can answer.

1. If you focus from close to infinity, does the focuser turn clockwise or counter clockwise?
2. Is there a possibility to attach a tripod/monopod adapter and if so what type can be used?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Cheers Peter

1. clockwise to infinity

2. it has standard 1/4"-20 UNC tripod mount (the standard one). You'd need a roof prism tripod adaptor. Pretty much any one should work.

1. clockwise to infinity

Thanks Kevin. That is good news because that is the way I like a bin to focus.

2. it has standard 1/4"-20 UNC tripod mount (the standard one). You'd need a roof prism tripod adaptor. Pretty much any one should work.
That is good news too. I guess that all I have to do now is find a reputable British online dealer (with Sterling/euro rate of today) and order one. (can somebody recommend me one?)

Cheers Peter

I guess that all I have to do now is find a reputable British online dealer (with Sterling/euro rate of today) and order one. (can somebody recommend me one?)

Cheers Peter

Infocusoptics.co.uk are excellent. The Sterling/Euro rate being as it is, I put in an order with them today too (for different bins). I think bins will flood out of the UK, and Euro will flood in....Peter, you and I might have just kick-started the UK economy...they´ll build statues to us!!!;)

I am doing my part for the economy. I bought a car. A cheap Hyundai, but at least we sell some cars. I have no idea yet where my car was made.

My binocular spending is actually very little as I sold two to get the ProMaster 10x, not yet arrived.

It is entirely up to you. It is a cheap pair with excellent optics. Company history is your job to research, but I do not expect Rolls Royce service. If you get ten years out of it, it is worth it.

Peter, you and I might have just kick-started the UK economy...they´ll build statues to us!!!;)
Thanks Sancho

Well I am sure they will build you one. If I am correct most of your optics is ordered from the UK. I haven't ordered anything from the UK but this Hawke may be the start so maybe , just maybe, in the future they might build me a small statue next to your huge statue (Sancho, El Salvador) ;)
Infocusoptics.co.uk are excellent.
I just checked their site but it seems to me they don't do Hawke. I found http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/company_info.htm . They sell abroad but I don't know anything about them.

I also found http://www.green-witch.com/acatalog/Hawke_Frontier_ED_.html but like Sherwoods I do not know anything about their reputation. So any recommendations on dealers that do Hawke and ship abroad are welcome.

Cheers Peter

It is entirely up to you. It is a cheap pair with excellent optics. Company history is your job to research, but I do not expect Rolls Royce service. If you get ten years out of it, it is worth it.

Inexpensive not cheap ;)

As regard online dealer in Euros ... perhaps your credit card might give you the best rate. You can order from Hawke online. I think for UK and ROW they quote in GBP.

Thanks Sancho

Well I am sure they will build you one. If I am correct most of your optics is ordered from the UK. I haven't ordered anything from the UK but this Hawke may be the start so maybe , just maybe, in the future they might build me a small statue next to your huge statue (Sancho, El Salvador) ;)

I just checked their site but it seems to me they don't do Hawke. I found http://www.sherwoods-photo.com/company_info.htm . They sell abroad but I don't know anything about them.

I also found http://www.green-witch.com/acatalog/Hawke_Frontier_ED_.html but like Sherwoods I do not know anything about their reputation. So any recommendations on dealers that do Hawke and ship abroad are welcome.

Cheers Peter

In Focus is always my first choice but they do not stock them, so I got mine from Harpers Photographic in Woking... http://www.harpersphoto.co.uk/product/hawke_frontier_ed_open_hinge_8x43_binoculars_ha3778_/ I liked the fact they had a physical address and were a well-established company trading for many years. My bins were delivered very promptly and well-packaged. I haven't had any reason to test their post-sales service yet. Sherwoods seem to be similarly well-established and trustworthy but were marginally more expensive at the time I ordered.

I love my Hawkes, although now birding back in the UK with a low sun I have noticed the stray light effect others have remarked on. As many others have said, I don't think there is a better value roof binocular.

Graham

Last edited:
Will those of you who have recently bought a Hawke comment on your experience with its focus mechanism. I recently acquired a Conquest Zeiss 8-40 and I love the optics but am very frustrated with its hard, slow focus. Thanks.

Will those of you who have recently bought a Hawke comment on your experience with its focus mechanism. I recently acquired a Conquest Zeiss 8-40 and I love the optics but am very frustrated with its hard, slow focus. Thanks.

Don't have the Hawke, but the Promaster I do have is about the same amount of travel as the Conquest, but when focusing on an object it seems a bit faster. While slow, it is pretty precise and mine at least is easier to turn than the Conquest. I prefer the Promaster focus to the Conquest. FWIW.

Peter

Have just bought a pair of Hawke 8 x 43 Frontier EDs for £255 on ebay from northeastfieldsports. Fast delivery, no problems. Excellent pair of binoculars and accessories.

Paul

Is that good in $ ?

Zorba,

That pretty good in US $$$ the best US deal I've seen is $399. Most sell in the $450-500 range. 10x about $50 more.

I guess I better add that this is for the Promaster ELX ED. Just a comparison of the British pound versus the US dollar.

Last edited:
I haven't ordered anything from the UK but this Hawke may be the start so maybe , just maybe, in the future they might build me a small statue next to your huge statue (Sancho, El Salvador) ;)

Cheers Peter

Que va. "Don Pedro y Don Sancho, Los Benefactores". But that´s our last gift to their economy, their sterling strengthened significantly today against the euro.....;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back