• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

If you wished for a bird in your Garden, what would it be? (2 Viewers)

I would have to say it would be a hummingbird for me, growing up in NZL I never ever saw one then when I moved to Canada that changed and I have been fascinated with the little guy ever since.

I wish a Bohemian Waxwing would find its way into our yard! We occasionally get Cedar Waxwings passing through, but never the Bohemian.

being realistic the one that id like and is likely to turn up is nuthatch there in good numbers not too far away from me. but id really love a long eared owl or a barn owl we have tawny owls quite regular especially in winter when we can have as many as 4 or 5.

Flycatcher

I'd really love to have a Vermilion Flycatcher. It's just about possible, since a couple do spend the winters around Houston.

Failing that, I'd happily settle for a Crested Caracara. They do eat squirrels, don't they?

Jeff

I would love to see any kind of woodpecker in our garden - we live in Ireland so I don't hold out much hope even though they have been spotted a couple of times around the country. Our very small garden backs onto a wooded bank and so far we have had a pair of Bullfinches, a family of Jays (5 of them!) and a pair of Jackdaws all hanging off our nut feeder - not at the same time of course!! We've also got 3 fox cubs which we feed every night......hmmmm maybe I am being a bit greedy with a woodpecker!

When I get my own garden over by the hills, sooner rather than later I hope, then I want a Cassowary at the feeder. Nothing beats that here...B :)

The last time this came up I said Waxwing, and couldn't believe it when four turned up in the garden last winter. I was going to post on this thread a couple of weeks ago that Hobby was my dream garden bird but I thought it was impossible.

Strictly it wasn't my garden, but I work down south a lot and stay at my parents house, which is a three bed semi in a built up area in Leighton Buzzard, near the centre of town, and since it's the house I grew up in it's still 'my' garden. Sitting in the garden on Tuesday morning I heard an odd scream from a swift and scanned the sky. I quickly spotted a falcon flying towards me with something in its talons. I couldn't really figure it out as I was only thinking kestrel or sparrowhawk, but it was very quickly directly overhead and very obviously a hobby with a swift in its talons. I must have missed the capture by split seconds.

My Mum rushed out in time to see it disappearing over the neighbouring rooftops and it took the whole day for it to sink in. Even now I have a big grin remembering it. Will I ever get a better garden bird?

Graham

Really hoping for a Tree sparrow. I have had Brambling, Siskin and Redpoll in the Winter, but a lowly Tree sparrow would be nice.

Any kind of woodpecker would be great, i've tried to attract them in the past but had no luck (so far). Not going to happen where i'm living right now but a hummingbird would be amazing!

There are a lot. Some kind of Warbler, since I've only seen one species of Warbler. Maybe a Bunting of some kind...

Nah, my first choice would be an Eastern Bluebird. Those birds are pretty, but I've never seen one :(

I would like to see a Yellowhammer in my garden, but if any bird in this country it would be a Corn Bunting or Lesser Spot, they would be most welcome...

I'd like a female Golden eagle that I can redirect to Hawswater but as that's probably pushing it I'd settle for a Treecreeper.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back