• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Victory 8x25 VS Swaro CL 8x30 last edition. (1 Viewer)

Thanks Rico, I had Ultravid 10x25, I sold it because it had a slight decolimation, I had the opportunity to compare it with Kowa Genesis 10x33, an excellent resolution binoculars and I can say that Leica exceeded it a bit in terms of resolution. Now I don't use binoculars with magnification over 8x anymore because of the stability problem. If I could find an 8x20 UV at an affordable price I would get one.

I found that having the Zeiss 8x25 in my car was the most significant upgrade I have done this year.

It's a fact that a binocular is better than no binocular. I don't want to leave my 7x42 FL in my car all the time, so the moment I hear there is a special bird while at work, I don't have to regret anymore not having any binocular. In practice, I use the 8x25 a lot. When I go out for a full day birding I still use the 7x42.

But when I am at work and do some birding during lunch or after work, or when I am walking my my kids and have less time to wander around and just occasionally watch, the 8x25 is always with me and has never disappointed. It is a very good, pleasant to use binocular and the fact that it's always there makes it really valuable as it gets used a lot. And in the end, that's the most important aspect.

I would consider the Swarovski CL 8x30 as a binocular for all-round use, and it can be used as your only binocular, but it is not small enough to consider it as a pocket binocular.

Thanks Alexis, I understood your point perfectly and I find extremely interesting the idea of having an 8x25 binocular that can do 95 percent of the work of an 8x32. Right now I'm thinking more about a Zeiss 8x25 Victory. I forgot to say that I have a Docter 10x25, a binocular with a resolution at the highest level, but that after three days of use suffered a defect in the focus system. I sent him to the factory and after 40 days I still do not know anything about him, it is very difficult to communicate with the people at Noblex. I took it because I found it very cheap and said that if I am satisfied with the image quality I will take the 8x22 Docter with 131 meters visual field. Unfortunately I did not have enough time to test in different light situations. And now I begin to think that I will never see him again.

Thank you Temmie, that's exactly my problem: having a binocular all the time with me versus not having a binocular all the time with me. In the end I think I will give up the Cl 8x30 because it is clearly not the binoculars to carry in my pocket

Thanks Rico, I had Ultravid 10x25...Now I don't use binoculars with magnification over 8x anymore because of the stability problem.
You were unlucky for the 10x25 out of collimation, you could have it replaced, because it is excellent and the resolution is fundamental for the observations of small and distant animals. But if you can't keep a 10x still and you prefer up to 8x maximum, there's little to discuss.

I forgot to say that I have a Docter 10x25, a binocular with a resolution at the highest level, but that after three days of use suffered a defect in the focus system.
I can only say that bad luck with 10x25 haunts you unscrupulously. ;)

Seriously, when the choice is Ultravid 8x20 or Victory 8x25, I could agree with Alexis, if you can accept 290g every time you go out with the binoculars.
For example, I started with Legend 10x25 (235g) and I always wore it, on every occasion, attached to my neck for 25 hours a day or in a baby carrier, without realizing that I had binoculars with me, even when I went to go shopping, just in case. But now that I'm using an Opticron DBA Oasis 10x25 (347g) that I've even lightened to 310g, when I wear it I always realize I have it with me. Not that it is heavy, but simply that 250 g is better than 300 g, when the purpose is pocket-sized.

I feel lucky that I prefer and I can easily tolerate 10x25 compared to 8x20. Because 10x25 is more powerful, resolute and efficient than any 8x. So much so that if it were possible / available I would adopt 15x28 all the time. But as I said earlier, Leica designed and built 8x20 and 10x25 with the intent of offering the best pocket-sized solution in the world (for better or for worse). And unfortunately, Leica will never satisfy my desire for Ultravid 15x28 :re:

If I can give another advice, you try both Ultravid 8x20 and Victory 8x25 at the same time, before deciding.

Both Opticron DBA Oasis 8x22, and Docter 8x22, which Montana 8x22 (Bresser), are good wide-field binoculars like the Victory, but not so good. If you can spend the right price, get Ultravid or Victory. You won't regret the optical quality (I don't know Victory).

It would be perfect if I had the opportunity to compare UV 8x20 with Victory 8x25. Unfortunately in Romania it is almost impossible to find a store where I can see both. I had a Trinovid 8x20 last model and I was impressed by the resolution and in particular, contrast. I sold it because I had just received an 8x25 Terra. I can say that I saw with that Terra details that I could hardly see with the Zeiss SF 8x42 black model. That says a lot about the image quality in this little instrument. In fact the resolution and contrast seen on Terra 8x25 was higher than that of CL 8x25 or Victory 8x25. At least in the copies I had. However, there are some aspects that I like about Victory 8x25 such as: ergonomics, wider field of view, and better behavior in more critical light situations. I only had a few Victory hours in my possession and I compared it directly to only the CL 8x25 and this from inside my apartment looking out the window.

I had Nikon HG 8X20 and 10x25, Trinovid new model 8x20 and 10x25, Ultravid 10x25 and CL 8x25, it seems that the only one I have never seen is UV 8x20. I see that these days you can buy one on Ebay for around 400 euros.

I tried a Victory, meh, another victory a month later, wow wow wow! Bought that sample.

I think that in the sub $1K market sample variation will be larger than it already is in the alpha market.

Also, it’s clear there should be published mtf specs for the alphas, and some way to test a sample. It’s not acceptable that an SF gets completely beaten by a Pocket on sharpness.

Edmund

It would be perfect if I had the opportunity to compare UV 8x20 with Victory 8x25. Unfortunately in Romania it is almost impossible to find a store where I can see both. I had a Trinovid 8x20 last model and I was impressed by the resolution and in particular, contrast. I sold it because I had just received an 8x25 Terra. I can say that I saw with that Terra details that I could hardly see with the Zeiss SF 8x42 black model. That says a lot about the image quality in this little instrument. In fact the resolution and contrast seen on Terra 8x25 was higher than that of CL 8x25 or Victory 8x25. At least in the copies I had. However, there are some aspects that I like about Victory 8x25 such as: ergonomics, wider field of view, and better behavior in more critical light situations. I only had a few Victory hours in my possession and I compared it directly to only the CL 8x25 and this from inside my apartment looking out the window.

In my SF 8X42 binoculars I saw the cleanest and most transparent image of all the top binoculars I had including the new model SLC 8X42, Zeiss Victory FL 8X42, 10x56 or SV 8x32. I compared SF with a Habicht 7x42 made in 2013 and we couldn't believe my friends and me, how superior the clarity and transparency of the SF image to Habicht was. However, when you focus on the amount of details provided, Sf did not deliver anything extra than the SWARO CL 8x25. I read as clearly some letters on a panel, with both binoculars. The most interesting part came when I managed to read more clearly those letters with Zeiss Terra 8x25 than with CL or SF. Thus we have come to the conclusion that the excellent image provided by SF is due to the cleanliness and transparency of the image more than the resolution itself.

Maniac:

I just read this entire thread, and it seems you have tried many of the top binocular models.
They are all very good in many ways.

I did see your mention of a budget, and so you need to decide for yourself, as there is no way for
others to help you in your decision.

It is fun to try binoculars and it seems you are at that stage.

Stay happy. ;)

Jerry

It would be perfect if I had the opportunity to compare UV 8x20 with Victory 8x25...
The Trinovid is also excellent binoculars, but it is not waterproof (only splash guards) and is not filled with nitrogen. The Ultravid is definitely a higher step, but Leica produces only 20mm 8x. And aside from the lighter weight, if you find a Victory 8x25, it should be brighter (I don't know, we should try two real samples).

But I see that you have found a "perfect" copy of Terra ED 8x25, so at this point you have a formidable reference to make other comparisons, or you have the binoculars you were looking for directly.

As you've seen before, what matters most is getting hold of a perfect specimen. If you can do it with a Victory, it will be even more perfect;)

Thanks NDhunter, yes it is true that I was lucky enough to see many fabulous binoculars, but I could not have them and compare them all at the same time for financial reasons. I would also like to see an Ultravid HD 7x42 and a Noctivid 8x42. But I REALLY have to find a binocular that I always have with me. Rico, thanks for the comments, is the first time I find out that little Trinovid is not waterproof and has no nitrogen

...I can say that I saw with that Terra details that I could hardly see with the Zeiss SF 8x42 black model. That says a lot about the image quality in this little instrument. In fact the resolution and contrast seen on Terra 8x25 was higher than that of CL 8x25 or Victory 8x25. At least in the copies I had. However, there are some aspects that I like about Victory 8x25 such as: ergonomics, wider field of view, and better behavior in more critical light situations...

That's a very disturbing report. Makes me wonder about what was wrong with those other bins. I've tried quite a few Terra 8x25 at this point and I have not been impressed as compared to the Victory or full-sized bins. Every Terra that I've tried has a fair amount of off-axis astigmatism, starting just outside the very center, which is something that I find very bothersome in any binocular. The sweet spot of the Victory 8x25 is not class leading, but it is excellent (akin to the Leica 8x32 models), and the off-axis degradation is due to field curvature (not astigmatism) so it can be corrected by tweaking the focus. Given that you saw better contrast in the Terra than the SF, I wonder if your perception was due to clean versus dirty lenses, or perhaps due to shadows going black in high contrast lighting (seems to happen faster with inexpensive or small-objective bins), which gives a superficial impression of better contrast.

--AP

Alexis I want to clarify a little; In front of my window at 70 meters is almost always parked the same car, on the registration plate has written on the top with very small letters three words. I get used to evaluating the resolution of my binoculars judging by how clearly I can read those letters. I saw about the same clarity the letters with SF, FL 8X42, Meopta Meostar 8x32, CL 8x25 and something clearer with: SLC 8x42 new model, Steiner Nighthunter 8x56 new model and TERRA 8X25. That led me to the conclusion that Terra has a higher resolution, until I read on a forum that someone measured the magnification power at TERRA 8X25 and came out 8.2x instead of 8x. This could be the explanation for the small Terra's ability to provide a little more detail

I bought from Ebay for a friend who does not have an Ebay account a Victory 8x25, the package came to my address so I had the opportunity to test it one hour before giving it to my friend. I compared it to my CL 8x25 and I was very eager to see if Victory can offer me a better resolution or contrast, but unfortunately wherever I looked, leaves from trees, bark of trees, clothes lying on the floor by neighbors, Victory it simply could not match the clarity of the image and details offered by CL. It was a rather disappointing experience because I liked the design at Victory, the wider field of view, the better ergonomics and the brightness of the image. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to test him in outdor conditions because my friend only kept it for a short time.Now after about two years I think maybe it was a lemon versus a cherry situation. I have to try another copy of Victory 8x25

I bought from Ebay for a friend who does not have an Ebay account a Victory 8x25, the package came to my address so I had the opportunity to test it one hour before giving it to my friend. I compared it to my CL 8x25 and I was very eager to see if Victory can offer me a better resolution or contrast, but unfortunately wherever I looked, leaves from trees, bark of trees, clothes lying on the floor by neighbors, Victory it simply could not match the clarity of the image and details offered by CL. It was a rather disappointing experience because I liked the design at Victory, the wider field of view, the better ergonomics and the brightness of the image. Unfortunately I did not have the opportunity to test him in outdor conditions because my friend only kept it for a short time.Now after about two years I think maybe it was a lemon versus a cherry situation. I have to try another copy of Victory 8x25

I hope you carefully adjusted the dioptre and the IPD before your test. It can be easy to overlook these or do them too hastily when you only have limited time to perform your test.

Lee

Troubador, very interesting observation, may have been a problem with IPD because I need 73 mm and it seems that Victory 8x25 has a maximum of 72 mm

A family member complained of a headache after using my favourite bins... maybe I should have suggested checking the diopter adjuster.... got my bins back though :)

Peter

That led me to the conclusion that Terra has a higher resolution, until I read on a forum that someone measured the magnification power at TERRA 8X25 and came out 8.2x instead of 8x. This could be the explanation for the small Terra's ability to provide a little more detail
I too, like Alexis, was very perplexed in reading your experiences. Certainly it is not 0.2x more to let you see more details. Also because the actual magnification value of the other binoculars could be greater than 8.2x. The reasons or causes are others. Among other things, the binoculars never approach the maximum possible magnification of the objectives and therefore the maximum optic detail.
Therefore, the optical resolution of the binoculars free of defects is always higher than that of the best eye in the world. And what changes, can only be the speed of reading the same details.

Difficult to decipher the causes here, without destroying your reputation as a reviewer ;)

Last edited:
Rico understands perfectly what you mean but here's what Erik Bakker says in a review on Cloudy Nights forum in a CL 8X25 comparison with Terra 8x25: Sharpness is definitely better in the Zeiss, as are micro- and macro contrast. This is easily seen on the feathers of birds in my garden at 10 yards. And even more prominent on the moon. More contrast nuances, starker contrast on mountain ridges and craters and plainly more detail in a more lively lunar- or bird image.

In comparison, the Swarovski’s are slightly less sharp, less contrasty. And : The Zeiss are the sharper, more contrasty binoculars. Subtle bird detail during the day or on the moon at night are revealed with a level sharpness and contrast that is both stunning and intoxicating. Contrast is stark, with the images in the Swarovski showing a slight veil in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back