• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon D7100 or 7200? (1 Viewer)

Just acquired a Sigma 50-500 f/4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM lens and am wondering if anyone is willing to share their experience of using either of these bodies with this lens for bird photography.

My thanks in anticipation.

The 7100 has a poor buffer so you can't take many rapid shots in a row without waiting for it to clear. The 7200 has a bigger buffer, and the focus system is better, I believe. (I have not owned either but have been considering a switch from Canon and reading all about Nikons for some time. Personally I am going to wait until the D500 has been out for a while...).
Sean

The 7100 has a poor buffer so you can't take many rapid shots in a row without waiting for it to clear. The 7200 has a bigger buffer, and the focus system is better, I believe. (I have not owned either but have been considering a switch from Canon and reading all about Nikons for some time. Personally I am going to wait until the D500 has been out for a while...).
Sean

Thanks for your prompt response, as I shoot in jpeg hopefully there won't be too much of a problem with a smaller buffer.

The D7100 does have a small buffer, but if you use a fast SD card (e.g., a 95 MB/s Sandisk Extreme) it clears pretty quickly.

I used to have the 50-500, but mainly used it with the D7000; I sold it before I went to the D7100, and have since sold the D7100 as well. It should be even better with the 7100 or 7200 and the 51-point AF system. The 50-500 is a very versatile lens with pretty good autofocus speed even at the long end. Sharpness is decent, particularly if you stop down to f/8 for optimal sharpness at the long end. Here are some old shots I took with the 50-500: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjw8gQ2e

Used one on my D7100 sold it before i got my D7200,my thoughts are it was great on the D7100 but if you can run to the D7200 it should be better.
After saying that i would be happy if i was still using my D7100.

The D7100 does have a small buffer, but if you use a fast SD card (e.g., a 95 MB/s Sandisk Extreme) it clears pretty quickly.

I used to have the 50-500, but mainly used it with the D7000; I sold it before I went to the D7100, and have since sold the D7100 as well. It should be even better with the 7100 or 7200 and the 51-point AF system. The 50-500 is a very versatile lens with pretty good autofocus speed even at the long end. Sharpness is decent, particularly if you stop down to f/8 for optimal sharpness at the long end. Here are some old shots I took with the 50-500: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjw8gQ2e

Used one on my D7100 sold it before i got my D7200,my thoughts are it was great on the D7100 but if you can run to the D7200 it should be better.
After saying that i would be happy if i was still using my D7100.

Many thanks for your helpful advice.

From your comments, it does seem worth fully exploring the D7100's performance before going for a different body. As stated in my original post, not yet had chance to really tryout the lens but the results so far have been encouraging bearing in mind the present British weather, overcast and windy and the cost compared to other zoom lenses with this range.

Currently using a Lexar Professional 150Mb/s card which is fast enough for my needs and with regard to IQ, found this improved after using a tripod with a fluid head. Have yet to establish any significant difference between OS 'on or off' while using the tripod. Maybe the fluid head does not completely stabilise the lens and thus interfere with the OS operation system.

If I can achieve the results obtained by flanken with this lens, I will be more than happy and thanks again for your comments and advice. Maybe its not 'beyond hope' for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back