• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice for getting back into bird photography - Camera and Zoom lens (1 Viewer)

pjw1966

After 15 or so years I'm going to get back into bird photography and would welcome advice on a camera/zoom lens combination. Total budget will be around £1,500 (maybe slightly more) and I'm particularly interested in a zoom lens able to perform at a decent standard in low(ish) light. My research had shown the Sigma 745306 150-600mm F/5-6.3 DG HSM Contemporary as coming highly recommended, but I've no idea about what camera to pair it with.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

For getting back into photography, I would recommend looking at second hand options. My second piece of advice is to look at the total weight you are getting into, will you actually carry the camera or will it become a dead weight on a shelf at home?
Niels

For getting back into photography, I would recommend looking at second hand options. My second piece of advice is to look at the total weight you are getting into, will you actually carry the camera or will it become a dead weight on a shelf at home?
Niels
Thanks for the advice, I'd rather buy new to have the warranties. Also, I really can't afford to have £1,500 worth of product 'On a shelf, at home'!

Is a superzoom bridge-camera out of the question? I'm using a Sony DSC-RX10 IV for my bird photography. It's a great camera, lightweight (compared to camera/zoomcombi), less expensive and you can get really great results!

Is a superzoom bridge-camera out of the question? I'm using a Sony DSC-RX10 IV for my bird photography. It's a great camera, lightweight (compared to camera/zoomcombi), less expensive and you can get really great results!

Looks really interesting, didn't know such a thing existed. Thanks, will investigate.

If you have a set budget, then I would echo Niels with a recommendation to go used. Your money would go a lot further.

Low light is the rub. Not sure what kind of image quality your are seeking, but you are bound to have some noise to contend with. The smaller the sensor, the more this will be an issue. I would try to look at as many sample galleries for whatever camera you choose before pulling the trigger. Good luck!

If you have a set budget, then I would echo Niels with a recommendation to go used. Your money would go a lot further.

Low light is the rub. Not sure what kind of image quality your are seeking, but you are bound to have some noise to contend with. The smaller the sensor, the more this will be an issue. I would try to look at as many sample galleries for whatever camera you choose before pulling the trigger. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice, the bridge-camera looks like a great call! As for low light, I think I'm probably looking for too much for too small a budget.

Thanks for the advice, the bridge-camera looks like a great call! As for low light, I think I'm probably looking for too much for too small a budget.
I currently shoot with a bridge camera, and there is no challenging the convenience! Have a look here: Bridge Camera Photography Showcase

If there is enough light, you can capture some very nice images with a bridge camera. That said, I am looking forward to upgrading to Micro 4/3 later this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back