• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vagrant Sandpiper Findhorn Bay, Scotland? (1 Viewer)

wokka

Afternoon all,

I caught up with this sandpiper this morning. I know there was a Baird Sandpiper spotted a few days ago in the bay. I've never seen one of those. But have seen a pectoral sandpiper in the bay on the 26 Sept. This bird does look a little different from that one though.

The bird was undisturbed by my presence (30mins or so) and was on the edge of the tide line/ just in the grass on its own away from the other waders.

Any help with the ID would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_2501.jpg
    IMG_2501.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_2479.jpg
    IMG_2479.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2472.jpg
    IMG_2472.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2460.jpg
    IMG_2460.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 162
Very long primary projections are a good sign for Baird's Sandpiper indeed.

Looks near the place I've seen a Grey-tailed Tattler some 20 years ago..

Thank you all for the help with the ID. I've not long started bird watching and a Baird's sandpiper is by far and away the rarest bird of seen. :)

Cheers

Pete

Thank you all for the help with the ID. I've not long started bird watching and a Baird's sandpiper is by far and away the rarest bird of seen. :)

Cheers

Pete

You're doing pretty well with the waders there Pete. Funnily enough the first major rarity I ever saw was a Baird's Sandpiper (Salthouse, Norfolk in 1982). They're lovely birds.

Thanks Andrew,

I've been pretty fortunate recently and you're right they are lovely birds.

Here's my favourite picture from today.

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• IMG_2521 2.jpg
    IMG_2521 2.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 64
When I twitched the tattler there was a group of Belgian birders there at the same time. I thought they were travelling in a Peugeot 406.

David

Can you have made a mistake on the car ID ? I doubt many twitchers did 1200km from Belgium to there. That was in November, a Saturday, we had a Greater Yellowlegs the previous day in Belgium :king:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back