• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green morph Pine Siskin or female Eurasian Siskin? (Maine, US, North America) (1 Viewer)

jillmcm

This bird seems to match what I have been able to find out about the relatively rare "green morph" of the Pine Siskin, which is apparently very similar to the female Eurasian Siskin. It was strikingly olive/green when compared to the remainder of the Pine Siskins feeding (there is one photo of these for comparison).

Any hints on telling the two apart, and which you think this is? The bird was photographed this morning, December 26 on a niger feeder in Benton, Maine.

Attachments

• IMG_3836.jpg
    IMG_3836.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_3838.jpg
    IMG_3838.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_3864.jpg
    IMG_3864.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_3823.jpg
    IMG_3823.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 233
I found that article and have read it, but confess that I am still very uncertain (the scan is also hard to see detail on). My skills don't extend to this type of identification! :eek!: I guess I am leaning towards green morph at this point.

Here's another photo, that shows some of the bird's underparts.

Attachments

• IMG_3855.jpg
    IMG_3855.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
I found that article and have read it, but confess that I am still very uncertain (the scan is also hard to see detail on). My skills don't extend to this type of identification! :eek!: I guess I am leaning towards green morph at this point.

Here's another photo, that shows some of the bird's underparts.
The link doesn't even open for me.

You are in the range of vagrant Eurasian Siskins. Sibley says that green/yellow morph is most common in the southwest but of course it does occur elsewhere. Even voice wouldn't help too much as the quality of both species voices is the same. One would have to listen for calls characteristic to each one.

I would probably guess a green morph Pine Siskin for now as well.

does green morph Pine show a strong supercillium? also looks not so heavily streaked on underparts, if i saw it in UK I would call it Eurasian, Pine is on our radar as it's punted as a possible vagrant

Nick

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back