• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Retrovid 8x40: A brief review (1 Viewer)

………….. Look at the picture and you can see how the paint has worn away around the objectives and hinge, but there is no sign of wear on the 'leather'. It seems likely to me that this is because the material isn't leather at all.

Lee

I can confirm this. I just recently sold my 1976 model 10x40B on the internet and was puzzled myself when I took pictures for the purpose. It had been my standard and well used model for close to 20 years. After that it mostly spent its time on a shelf in the attic for those rare occasions that I would observe something from the attic window. So here too, the metal parts show much more wear than the "leather" cover.

The foldable rubber eyecups were close to falling off, though that does not show here.

Attachments

• P1090716.jpgred2500.jpg
    P1090716.jpgred2500.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Do you think Leica would use faux leather on a $1400.00 binocular?

If the alternative material is longer lasting and if leather would look beat-up in a compartively short time and customers would be banging on the Leica front-door saying 'hey I want my money back because this $1400 bino looks like junk after just one trip up the Amazon and only 2 trips to Antarctica', then yes, I would think Leica would use faux leather, just like they did the first time.

And there is nothing disgraceful about providing a longer-lasting covering that is animal-free.

Lee

If the alternative material is longer lasting and if leather would look beat-up in a compartively short time and customers would be banging on the Leica front-door saying 'hey I want my money back because this $1400 bino looks like junk after just one trip up the Amazon and only 2 trips to Antarctica', then yes, I would think Leica would use faux leather, just like they did the first time.

And there is nothing disgraceful about providing a longer-lasting covering that is animal-free.

Lee

It's never been a secret that the material covering the Leica cameras - certainly M4-P and M6 etc is called Vulcanite. i would say from looking at the ones I have that the basic material hasn't changed significantly since 1984 - I give that date as it's the earliest possible date for my M4-P, though from memory (which can be risky) I would say that the 1950s/60s M3 I used to have was similarly 'bound'. In my experience the Vulcanite is hard-wearing and looks pretty similar to what's under discussion over these Leitz binoculars.

From time to time they have changed the pattern/texture slightly (for instance on M4 and M6 it is more knobbly-looking than on the first digital version, M8, but without checking on more detail differences I can confirm the camera covering, Vulcanite, does a good job and stays tightly fitted at least on all the Leicas I have ever used. I'd be very happy to have that on binoculars too.

Tom

It's never been a secret that the material covering the Leica cameras - certainly M4-P and M6 etc is called Vulcanite. i would say from looking at the ones I have that the basic material hasn't changed significantly since 1984 - I give that date as it's the earliest possible date for my M4-P, though from memory (which can be risky) I would say that the 1950s/60s M3 I used to have was similarly 'bound'. In my experience the Vulcanite is hard-wearing and looks pretty similar to what's under discussion over these Leitz binoculars.

From time to time they have changed the pattern/texture slightly (for instance on M4 and M6 it is more knobbly-looking than on the first digital version, M8, but without checking on more detail differences I can confirm the camera covering, Vulcanite, does a good job and stays tightly fitted at least on all the Leicas I have ever used. I'd be very happy to have that on binoculars too.

Tom
Vulcanite! It sounds like Kryptonite. Superman better not buy a Leica!

Do you think Leica would use faux leather on a $1400.00 binocular? It has to be the real thing. It smells like leather. Maybe you are right. It is a new super durable faux leather.

Leica replied about the covering: "The leather is an artificial material with leather structure. The base material is a specific PVC. We use the same material on our cameras."

I am sure this is far more durable than actual leather.

Lee

You show ocular covers for the Retrovid... did these come with the binoculars?

Others here (chill6x6) have reported they were not included.

Is this meant as negative? I think that's not necessarily so. One could very well argue that the Ultravid was a good design from the start, so good in fact that only incremental changes were needed to keep the model up-to-date. Or is the HD+ an obsolete design?

Renze
Remember… in cameras, the M3 design was from the early 1960’s…. And it was so successful that even today Leica film cameras are almost exactly the same and the digital version keeps the same footprint. Leica must have as their philosophy that there is no reason to re-invent the wheel if the wheel is the best one can buy. So given the Ultravid line, why change something that is close to perfection? Simply update the coatings etc. The Noctivid pushed Leica to the top level but the Ultravid line is the M3 camera equivalent in bins.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back