• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica Bins (1 Viewer)

Rg548

Retired Somewhere
United Kingdom
I recently went to Ace optics, great shop, very welcoming, and a nice time looking at optics.
I went to look at some Zeiss Octarems 2nd hand, and although they were very good, not quite what I was looking for.
Whilst there I took a look through some 2nd hand Fujinon 7x50's. Wow, big bins and I.F. but the view was just superb.
Had these not had the compass and reticle, I would have definately have bought them. Totally addicted to that view.

However, I was also handed two pairs of Leicas to view.
7x42 Ultravid HD+
7x35 Retrovid.

I think these have BOTH moved up onto my wish list. Stunning.
I was amazed at the view through them both, but probably MORE surprised by the Retrovid..... just beautiful to hold and look through.
I think I must just have a preference for Leica, the build quality, and view is just so addictive.

Later the same day I viewed an SFL, and whilst superb, it just didn't float my boat like the Leicas.

But what I also came away with, was that my late model BN, which I took for comparison is just so good.
The money to move to either of the above is huge, yet the optical difference is not as big as one might suspect, but it is there!!
There is no question, both were a step up, but that's a huge amount of money for small gains.

I will probably keep enjoying my BN's, and I think I will just have to throw a Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-sx into the collection. Amazing optics and a Bargain!!!!

My experience of 7x50s is somewhat limited, but I've liked most of those I've looked through, even inexpensive Bushnells etc. I think the combo of generous exit pupil and low magnification helps deliver a bright and very comfortable image, very valuable when you're observing from a boat, which of course is their classic use. Were you able to try the old Nikon 7x50 that looks like a Tropical? It won't be as bright as the Fujinon (but no annoying/encumbering compass and reticle), but if it is a Tropical or something comparable, it might be worth a look.

The Octarem is an interesting binocular. If my experience with the older 12x50 version is anything to go by I can definitely see what you meant when you said "not quite what I was looking for". There's much to like about the old (not as old as the Dekarem/Deltrintems, but still old) Jena designs, but mine at least could not be said to have what james holdsworth once described as a "contemporary" view. I'd be grateful for any more detailed thoughts you might like to share.

Last edited:
But what I also came away with, was that my late model BN, which I took for comparison is just so good.
The money to move to either of the above is huge, yet the optical difference is not as big as one might suspect, but it is there!!
There is no question, both were a step up, but that's a huge amount of money for small gains.

I agree, when i compare my Leica UVHD 7x42 with my Trinovid BN i see a difference but not necessarily in that the newer UVHD is better. The newer model is brighter but the old BN has (to my old eyes) a warmer and “cosy” image. The UVHD is a bit lighter and that can mean a lot to some people. Both excellent bins but as you said moneywise…

My experience of 7x50s is somewhat limited, but I've liked most of those I've looked through, even inexpensive Bushnells etc. I think the combo of generous exit pupil and low magnification helps deliver a bright and very comfortable image, very valuable when you're observing from a boat, which of course is their classic use. Were you able to try the old Nikon 7x50 that looks like a Tropical? It won't be as bright as the Fujinon (but no annoying/encumbering compass and reticle), but if it is a Tropical or something comparable, it might be worth a look.

The Octarem is an interesting binocular. If my experience with the older 12x50 version is anything to go by I can definitely see what you meant when you said "not quite what I was looking for". There's much to like about the old (not as old as the Dekarem era designs, but still old) Jena designs, not (at least from what I've seen) what james holdsworth once described as a "contemporary" view. I'd be grateful for any more detailed thoughts you might like to share.
Yes I did try the Nikon, and I have to say that at £249 they were bloody amazing, and actually quite close to the Fujis.
If someone is after a bargain pair of 7x50's they are great, but if I remember, I think they had a reticle.
My mate was with me, and he also fell in love with the Fujis, even more so than the Leicas we tried. But they are big !!!!

The Octarem was superb, but you have to put into the equation its' age.
And it just isn't there, as far as 'wow' factor goes. But they are a superb pair of binos for only £400. They provide a lovely view.
The quality of the binocular is immediately apparent, the build and view, but age has shown here, as you would expect. Modern coatings have moved on.
Compare it with the Fuji, and there is a difference.
I left thinking that my BN's are great, but I do need a pair of Fujis, and I'll put up with I.F. at that money.
That view for £680 ish quid is a no brainer for me.
When I had my Steiners, the I.F wasn't as much of an issue as I was expecting, especially with that huge depth of field.
And in certain situations I.F. was actually an advantage.
I was looking for seals off the south coast, and could span huge areas without focussing.... I found it very useful.
On balance, I prefer central focussing, but my foray into I.F. didn't put me off entirely.
Watch this space.... Fujis will be landing at some point.

Interestingly I 'yet again' tried the 10x40 Habicht.
I love that binocular, and tried just on its' own it is great....
But direct comparisons with the Fuji, and then the Leicas left me slightly underwhelmed sadly.
But it does look and feel great.

But they are big !!!!
I've paid a couple of visits to Ace Optics over the past week or so and during one of those visits Ian pulled those Fujis out of the cabinet and said 'try those!'. First impression was they are BIG!!!!, and that, in conjunction with the IF, didn't get us off to the best of starts, but the optics are simply sensational and won me over. I only spent a very few minutes looking through them, due to their weight (it was quite a workout!), but the addictive nature of 'the view' could have kept me entertained for hours, had they been mounted on a tripod.

Awesome bins!

Hello,

Some years ago, I tried a Fujinon 7x50 binocular. I found that it had very odd distortions for terrestrial views. However, it was the the top of the line model with neither compass nor graticule. Perhaps you should look for that model.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I've paid a couple of visits to Ace Optics over the past week or so and during one of those visits Ian pulled those Fujis out of the cabinet and said 'try those!'. First impression was they are BIG!!!!, and that, in conjunction with the IF, didn't get us off to the best of starts, but the optics are simply sensational and won me over. I only spent a very few minutes looking through them, due to their weight (it was quite a workout!), but the addictive nature of 'the view' could have kept me entertained for hours, had they been mounted on a tripod.

Awesome bins!
That said, and whilst BIG they may have been, they were lightweights compared to the 'used' 16x70 Fujis which were also in stock and dwarfing everything else in the display cabinet. Now those are absolute monsters. I made a futile attempt to test them handholding them, but quickly (very quickly) backtracked on that idea.

I also had a play with the AX Visio while I was there.

Sorry, I'm VERY off the topic of 'Leica bins', but confess I was VERY close to purchasing a pair of VERY special Leica bins which are in stock there. I'm hoping they sell quickly, because I'm sorely tempted to add them to my 'wardrobe' and struggling to restrain myself from the temptation.

I own two pairs of Leica binoculars, the last pair which is the Ultravid 8x20 which I purchased in January 2022.

Back then I wanted to have a pocket sized binocular, which would enable me to have some binoculars with me when and wherever I was. I have always been really impressed with Leica binoculars, so I began looking at pocket sized binoculars, and the Ultravid 8x20 kept getting mentioned and highly praised time and time again. I wasn't looking at getting a new pair of binoculars to replace and old pair, I wanted to have a choice, so that I could take with me the pair that would be most suitable for me on that given day. After advice read on this forum and also other resources online, I went with the Leica Ultravid 8x20, and have been seriously impressed with them. My partner was also very impressed after using my pair, that she decided to get herself a pair too.

I own another pair of Leica binoculars (which are the 10-15x50 Duovid which I got back in 2003). I absolutely love these as for me it's essentially like having two pairs of binoculars in one and the optics are outstanding. Downsides are, they are on the heavy side and the large side, and ideally I only take these when I am taking my backpack and I know I will be out for a while on that given day.

Both my pairs of Leica binoculars have certainly lived up to and exceeded my expectations, and also ticked all the boxes and then some, I definitely could not be any happier with them.

That said, and whilst BIG they may have been, they were lightweights compared to the 'used' 16x70 Fujis which were also in stock and dwarfing everything else in the display cabinet. Now those are absolute monsters. I made a futile attempt to test them handholding them, but quickly (very quickly) backtracked on that idea.

I also had a play with the AX Visio while I was there.

Sorry, I'm VERY off the topic of 'Leica bins', but confess I was VERY close to purchasing a pair of VERY special Leica bins which are in stock there. I'm hoping they sell quickly, because I'm sorely tempted to add them to my 'wardrobe' and struggling to restrain myself from the temptation.
Yes indeed @Bentley03 , like Rg548 pointed out, fill us in please, I too am quite receptive for a VERY special Leica binocular.

I recently went to Ace optics, great shop, very welcoming, and a nice time looking at optics.
I went to look at some Zeiss Octarems 2nd hand, and although they were very good, not quite what I was looking for.
Whilst there I took a look through some 2nd hand Fujinon 7x50's. Wow, big bins and I.F. but the view was just superb.
Had these not had the compass and reticle, I would have definately have bought them. Totally addicted to that view.

However, I was also handed two pairs of Leicas to view.
7x42 Ultravid HD+
7x35 Retrovid.

I think these have BOTH moved up onto my wish list. Stunning.
I was amazed at the view through them both, but probably MORE surprised by the Retrovid..... just beautiful to hold and look through.
I think I must just have a preference for Leica, the build quality, and view is just so addictive.

Later the same day I viewed an SFL, and whilst superb, it just didn't float my boat like the Leicas.

I will probably keep enjoying my BN's, and I think I will just have to throw a Fujinon 7x50 FMTR-sx into the collection. Amazing optics and a Bargain!!!!
Coincidental to this post, my first two quality binoculars were pair of 7x50 Fujinon MTRC and a 7x35 Trinovid B. It was the early 80s and I was driving boats around Hawaii and delivering sailboats to the mainland. Those Fujinons with the built in compass we're invaluable for navigating and I’d’ing distant vessels or floating objects.

Since then, since 2010 actually, I’ve got a 8x42 Ultravid BR and just last year, a 7x35 Retrovid. I’m sure the latest iteration of the MTRC, mine is forty years old, but as much as I love my old Fujinons, the Retrovids are a huge upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back