• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Here’s my feeder, need new recommendation (1 Viewer)

tealboy1

This is my feeder, came from Lowe’s hardware and typically filled with the inexpensive basic wild bird seed mix. The problem besides being worn out, the seed gums up at the bottom 25% and becomes full of bugs and nasty. This feeder has been very disappointing from the beginning

Can you recommend a good feeder to use in Florida to replace this one? I’ve done some searches but don’t see anything that jumps out as a crowd favorite.

7752FCB4-B550-4748-8CEF-38615CA321A5.jpg

Not sure if this helps, but I fill my feeders each day, and if a small amount is left at the bottom I empty it into a dish for the ground feeders. This keeps the hanging feeders fairly clean at the bottom and I give them a wash once a week.

the seed gums up at the bottom 25% and becomes full of bugs and nasty.
Not sure if this helps, but I fill my feeders each day, and if a small amount is left at the bottom I empty it into a dish for the ground feeders. This keeps the hanging feeders fairly clean at the bottom and I give them a wash once a week.
'

I can empathise with T.B's tale of woe ; seeing outside feeders getting "gummed up".

I had this happen, initially

Luckily, most half-decent U.K stores & supermarkets sell decent quality feeders, inexpensively.

More to the point, the ones (brands/make), that they sell, are dismantle-able

Both the wire-mesh seed & peanut feeders - Plus the regular seed feeders CAN be taken apart.

My advice would be ; Check the outlet section on or rather just inside the feeder itself.

In most (the majority), that I purchase, they ALL have a single-screw...

This can be found just inside the teardrop-shaped outlet.

Unscrewing this with a Phillips or Posidrive screwdriver releases BOTH teardrop sections...**

** (they may or might need a persuasive wiggle)

This in turn, releases the small circular base of the feeder itself, making cleaning easy.

May seem obsessive, but thesedays I use a Dettol (disinfectant) spray !

Had to, because during winter, one of mine had a wet-seed, "Germinate"

This led to a small weed growing within the cylindrical tube & lower base.

Gummed-up seed is pretty "Janky" & can harbour a multitude of germs, disease & general nastiness !

Any half-decent store SHOULD sell feeders (all types), which have a screw-detachable base.

It simply alleviates ALL that 'Gummed-up' scuzz that otherwise accumulates.

I wanna feed the wild-birds, not kill 'em ! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back