• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you have to much relief. ? (1 Viewer)

Spartan J

Since 1961 I have just retired my third set of B&L Discoverers.Last fall I found a new pair of Japanese made Vortex viper HD 8× 32'S in a remote store that sell mostly astronomy telescopes. I don't seem to get the full fov with my glasses on.when off the 8×32's are great.I have been looking at the 8×42 passion with more eye releif. What happens with to much E.R.Bear with me guys you all have forgotten more than I will ever know about binoculars.

Most modern binoculars have too much eye relief for me.
I don't wear glasses with binoculars.

The problems are an unsteady view as I can't place the binocular against my face or eye sockets.
And it is difficult to get the correct eye position.

What do I do?
I use binoculars that are often older that actually work for me.

B.

Spartan J, Welcome to the forum. You should definitely try other binoculars with more eye relief if you want to see the entire field of view with your glasses on. I wear glasses when I use my binoculars, and generally need at least 17mm of ER. Specs between 17 and 20 generally meet my needs, and the 'usable' eye relief varies from bin to bin, and even between manufacturers, due to the size of the eye cups, and the validity of their measurements. Some seem to measure from the top of the eyepiece, and some from the top of the eyecup.

-Bill

Yes I would love to try before I buy but around here that's like trying to win the lottery.I put an add in news papers not a hit.Im in the middle of no where,the only retail store anywhere near me is Cabelas 1 hr.40 min .and not to interested in their stock.Are there any distant or internet sellers that would allow a return if they didn't work out? A freind told me about Eagle optics he was allowed to buy 3 and send the two he didn't want back for a shipping charge,then found out they are closed for good.Id like a 8×32 but the 8× 42's seem to have a longer IR.I see some focus wheels have play,diopters drift ,that's why your right try some then buy. I am 69 and don't want to spend a thousand dollars ,now 10 20 years ago it would have made more sense so now I'm looking at 5 to 6 hundred.16 mm is close with the VVHD 8×32.enough rambling.

GPO for one has a return policy. That is probably more common than not. Get on the phone and ask your question directly to them. Maven is another dealer. For larger Optical dealers try CameraLandNY or SWFA.

Too much relief can always be solved by ... and now I can't figure out the proper English term, but basically any piece of material, preferreably adjustable, around the eyepiece towards your eye. Now obviously not all instruments have them and I don't know much about the offer of binos, but for eyepieces to my astronomical telescopes, I always pick those based on whether they have this property, for me it's more important than optical quality to some extent.

In principle, yes, I think there can be "too much" eye relief; when it's getting close to 20mm, I'm sure sacrifices are being made to achieve that optically. But the real problem in practice depends on whether you absolutely have to wear glasses when using a binocular. For those who don't, the issue is whether eyecups extend far enough to match the eye relief and "fit" your face properly, which is very important. But for you, wearing glasses, it should be simpler. Once you verify that you can see the whole field, just check to make sure it's comfortable viewing, not overly sensitive to eye position to avoid blackouts. And absolutely, try before you buy. Eagle Optics was a great shop, but every US seller I know of will accept returns if a bino doesn't work for you, and very few have restocking fees.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back