• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Intro to JC (1 Viewer)

jcpjung

United States
Hello. I've been birding for almost 40 years and have owned around 8 optics over the years. Currently, I have a Kowa BDII 6.5x32 that's my go-to bino (and the one my wife grabs), a Canon IS III 12x36 for longer distance observations (ie. shorebirds, raptors), and a Vortex Razor 20-60 85mm spotting scope. I also own my grandfather's 100-year-old Zeiss 8x30 Jena Deltrintem. These were refurbished by Zeiss about 15 years ago and although perfectly functional, do not work with my glasses.
I'm researching choices for the next binos that fill the gap between the 6.5's and 12's. My glasses require a relatively long eye relief while my aging somewhat shaky hands need lower power. So my choices have been narrowed to 7x42, 8x30/32, or 8x40/42 lightweight formats. The Zeiss SFL 8x40 is at the top of the list, but I like the small size of the Kowa 32's. Anyone have strong recommendations for a bino that fits those characteristics?
Carry on,
JC

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

You might find some advice and ideas in the Binocular boards.

Hope this helps!

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Hi JC and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back